Thank You Bernard !!

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Julian
Salmon

Re: THANK YOU BERNARD !!

Post by Julian »

Snape wrote:I love the look of that perch :Happy:

Same here - really big shoulders and solid - it looks as though it would weigh about 8lbs.
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

If it wasn't for Bernard we probably wouldn't be talking on this forum, lets face it if it wasn't for him recording those exploits of the 50's and 60's in his pictorial books we'd have little to inspire our traditional outlook. I loved the man and everything he accomplished and my frequent pilgrimages down onto the Romney Marsh , where he first discovered his love of angling is testament to his legacy........
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

AshbyCut wrote:Lovely collection, Sir. Odd how I suddenly feel very old ... and very young at the same time !
Beautifully put Mal :Hat:

My first fishing book was the roach one handed on from my grand father, the trout one followed from my non angling parents :roll: and although I've seen the other at tackle fairs I have so far resisted but they do look just so desirable. Bernard Venables conjured up the very essence of a fish and made them all look fantastic.

Lucky Strike
Perch

Post by Lucky Strike »

Such a great artist and poet, a man of great vision.

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Lucky Strike wrote:Such a great artist and poet, a man of great vision.
The best there has ever been.......and probably always will be....... :Hat:
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Same here, my Mum found a copy of Mr.Crabtree Goes Fishing at a Scout Jumble Sale and bought it for me. The cartoon images alone transfixed me, let alone the colour pages.

I had had an interest before, possibly started by the Brooke Bond free cards that Mum also collected for me, but it was that book that really hooked me and I'd sometimes read it the whole morning, but actually fishing wasn't to happen for many years until we left South London for Surrey.

Little did I know it at the time, but I'd ended up in the same place in Surrey as Chris Yates and Roger Wyndham Barnes and we all fished the same spots as youngsters.

Well, I say 'youngsters, but of course both those gentleman are considerably older than me.

I see that Roger's guiding site is down and the Compleat Angler site no longer mentions him.....hmmm.

Phil Arnott
Chub

Re: Thank You Bernard !!

Post by Phil Arnott »

Lovely books - I always thought it a shame that the other species were put together in "Let's Go Fishing" no1 & 2.

Does anyone know whether or not the pictures in "Fish & Fishing" puffin picture book 53 were Bernard's. Some appear to be in his style but are not signed?

Sussex Micky
Arctic Char

Post by Sussex Micky »

Yes interesting question..it was certainly wrote by Bernard and some of the illustrations look of his work..but im not convinced all the illustrations are by his hand . but a lovely little book

Mario
Eel

Post by Mario »

I love those books I have the perch the pike and the roach book

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”