Sounds a crazy question I know?

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
WildCarpFisher.

Sounds a crazy question I know?

Post by WildCarpFisher. »

Silver paper, how do you attach yours?

I ask because I'm reading Yates again, and he says he can hear his rustle. Now mine never really makes any noise that I could hear? I make mine into a ring, but I've seen Chris attach his by crimping it around the line. Would that make the difference do you think?

Also he seems to leave is bail arm open, what would stop his line coming off the spool, or his silver paper on the floor along with the rod, no rests?

MGs
Pike

Re: Sounds a crazy question I know?

Post by MGs »

I roll mine into a loose rough tube 1-2 inches in diameter and 3-4 inches long. Looped over the line between the reel and butt ring
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

WildCarpFisher. wrote:Silver paper, how do you attach yours?

I ask because I'm reading Yates again, and he says he can hear his rustle. Now mine never really makes any noise that I could hear? I make mine into a ring, but I've seen Chris attach his by crimping it around the line. Would that make the difference do you think?

Also he seems to leave is bail arm open, what would stop his line coming off the spool, or his silver paper on the floor along with the rod, no rests?
I'm sure there is at least one other thread on here somewhere about this, but I would also say that hearing it rustling only happens if it catches up against the butt ring and rattles around.
With regard to leaving the bail arm open, if the conditions are calm it is possible to do this and still leave it suspended, but if you are not expecting any drop-back bites then it can be on the ground.
Personally I find when carp fishing like this, I leave the bail arm closed with the clutch set fairly loosely, and it doesn't matter much whether you have anything on the line or not, as most carp bites I experience are usually so powerful that the clutch instantly 'screams'.
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

MaggotDrowner
Sea Trout

Post by MaggotDrowner »

I think he puts it in an old tin and it makes a noise when it moves through the tin. I'm sure he does that in caught in time or the secret carp. Cannot remember which.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

I also heard CY pushed it into the rings so it scraped as it pulled through.
I rarely fish with the bail arm open but do occasionally at Redmire and then I have some old plastic clips which wrap around the top of the handle and have a 'finger' on them to slip the line under to hold it but allowing a fish to pull it out.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

OldFellah

Post by OldFellah »

We used to fish with the bail arms open and a loop of line (above the spool) held under an elastic band on the handle of the rod.

WildCarpFisher.

Post by WildCarpFisher. »

Yes we did, why/when did we stop doing that?

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”