Interesting Float

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
JohnL

Interesting Float

Post by JohnL »

I picked up a copy of "Match Angling" by Bill Bartles a few days ago, Bill was a match angling legend in Sheffield in the 60s and 70s. Looking through the section on floats I came across one I hadn't see before and surprisingly traditional in design for a match angler, called the Crow-Zoomer. I've copied the picture and information from the book and wonder if anyone has ever come across them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MGs
Pike

Re: Interesting Float

Post by MGs »

:laugh:
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

JohnL

Post by JohnL »

I'm attempting to make some. At the moment they are looking like swans with broken necks (joining balsa and crowquill is not easy), I will report back on their aerodynamics.

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

One of the problems with floats like these is that many top match anglers of old had a 'special' float that they almost concocted by accident. They often look strange but in the hands of that expert and in the circumstances that demanded it the float can be very special. Often you find it hard to replicate the float even with the original in your hands never mind from a picture because the materials used balance perfectly so the float casts well and rides perfectly. It's why the top anglers who made their own stick floats reckon that to get one or two work right out of a batch of a dozen seemingly identical floats is good going.

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”