mending line

This forum is for discussing Long Trotting.
Maggot's Dad

Re: mending line

Post by Maggot's Dad »

St.John wrote:drennan supplex ey? give that a go in june then. had bad experience with floating line in the past, but that was the ultima stuff. nice one chaps.
Hi "Sinjun", :Hat:
I can honestly say that I've had no problems at all with it since I've been using it (was "put onto it" by DaceAce in one of his previous incarnations). It has a low diameter for it's BS, breaks well over the stated BS and it floats nice and high .... perfect for long trotting with heavily shotted floats!

Bluedun

Post by Bluedun »

Does any floating line keep floating? It's been years since I've tried anything different, though I use a "floating" line. Sooner or later it starts to cling to the water. A little spray of silicon oil on the tip ring (then reel the float right up) works nicely.

Maggot's Dad

Post by Maggot's Dad »

Bluedun wrote:Does any floating line keep floating? It's been years since I've tried anything different, though I use a "floating" line. Sooner or later it starts to cling to the water. A little spray of silicon oil on the tip ring (then reel the float right up) works nicely.
Hi Bluedun, :Hat:

....on any waters that are either carrying "colour" as in the case of a river or surface scum on a "stillwater", eventually the line will pick up a dirty covering leading to the twelve or so feet above the float, laying in the surface rather than on it.
If I notice this occuring I pull that section of line through a damp tissue a couple of times which "does the trick".

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

Maggot's Dad wrote:
St.John wrote:drennan supplex ey? give that a go in june then. had bad experience with floating line in the past, but that was the ultima stuff. nice one chaps.
Hi "Sinjun", :Hat:
I can honestly say that I've had no problems at all with it since I've been using it (was "put onto it" by DaceAce in one of his previous incarnations). It has a low diameter for it's BS, breaks well over the stated BS and it floats nice and high .... perfect for long trotting with heavily shotted floats!
the ultima stuff i was using had ribbing (the only way i can describe it) i thing, and it split down the length of it. i'll happily give the drennan stuff a shot!
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

A simple spray of dry fly floatant works wonders! I probably use more "Leeda Fly Float" on my trotting line as I do on my flies. One or 2 sprays in a session works very well. A quick spray if the line does not lift off the water easily is all that's required.

I use Drennan floatfish line, green 100m spools, cheap and easy to replace 50m on a reel every 2-4 days out.

The length of the rod and the weight of the float also need to be taken into account.

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

Olly wrote:A simple spray of dry fly floatant works wonders! I probably use more "Leeda Fly Float" on my trotting line as I do on my flies. One or 2 sprays in a session works very well. A quick spray if the line does not lift off the water easily is all that's required.

I use Drennan floatfish line, green 100m spools, cheap and easy to replace 50m on a reel every 2-4 days out.

The length of the rod and the weight of the float also need to be taken into account.
i usually put about 80 meter in the pin. using a wizard for the trotting as a rule. don't get me wrong, i've been long trotting the stretch for donkeys, but it is very fast down the middle and the line to fish is down the far bank over a set of rapids into the slack! just need a bright idea without dusting off the 14 ft carbon rod!!

think it may involve dusting off the 14 ft carbon rod!!!

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Have you tried trotting with braid Sin? I don't like the stuff except for lure fishing but it does stay afloat and the strike is instand and solid. I may have some on a spool, if I dig it out I'll give it to you when next we meet.

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

I'm wally casting mate... Tried it once, looked like something from the horrible film saw!

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Okay :Thumb:

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

Not a pretty sight in the slightest actually...

Return to “Long Trotting”