Looks like a centerpin but isn't !

The Other Reels forum.
Frogmore

Looks like a centerpin but isn't !

Post by Frogmore »

Hi,

I was browsing through German EBay (as you do!) and saw this interesting arrangement. I'm not quite sure what the advantage is - if any - but it looks rather fun !!

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Kuriose-Angelrol ... 35c36e209b

This one from the same seller isn't so much a reel as a disaster waiting to happen.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Kuriose-Angelrol ... 35c36e26df

Frogmore.

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Re: Looks like a centerpin but isn't !

Post by LuckyLuca »

Odd looking things as you say, I'd be tempted at that price if my German was better!
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Grayling-Trotter

Post by Grayling-Trotter »

They look more like fly reels with a similar style to Ari T Hart Reels. :Confused:

Kind Regards
G-T

Frogmore

Post by Frogmore »

I think a German engineering student/angler got a CNC laser cutter and some LSD for their birthday.

Frogmore.
Last edited by Frogmore on Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I once saw some prototype 'pins' in a shop that sold old fishing tackle, taxidermy etc. It was also a standard looking Aerial wheel but with three bearings like that first German one, in the middle. To be honest they were pretty rubbish and didn't spin at all well but I wish I'd bought one just for the novelty value and they were dead cheap.

Frogmore

Post by Frogmore »

The idea is good but the execution isn't so hot.
The contact point between the three rollers and the edge of the spool, and consequently the friction, may be small compared with that between a central pin and the spool which spins around it. However the friction of the rollers on their pins probably cancels out any advantage.
With high tech materials and fine tolerances it might spin very nicely though no better than a conventional reel. If it is a fly reel as it seems then that isn't really an issue so it is really just -------- quirky !!

Frogmore.

Return to “Other Reels”