What do you guys think of this. Unnamed wood & brass reel

The Other Reels forum.
MaggotDrowner
Sea Trout

What do you guys think of this. Unnamed wood & brass reel

Post by MaggotDrowner »

I will not be bidding but this looks old and interesting to my untrained eye. Any idea what it is?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zephyr-Type-3 ... 1e7596c82a
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: What do you guys think of this. Unnamed wood & brass ree

Post by Nobby »

For want of a better expression I call those composite or transition reels. My guess is that there was sufficient demand to keep a few makers offering wooden reels. Since the drums are mahogany usually they are lighter than they might appear.

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

The patent number dates it to 1912 and it was registered by A.Smith,I don't if he was anything to do with Smith & Wall the reel makers who are well known for their wood reels :think: .
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

MaggotDrowner
Sea Trout

Post by MaggotDrowner »

It's a beautiful thing. Just had a bid even though I said I woudn't. Got outbid though. If only I had more money. XD
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

Maggot Drowner, St Nobby and Harry H, it is my belief many of this type of reel were actually made by Reuben Heaton, the great Birmingham Manufacturer. They often made them for other companies who stamped them with their own logo, leading many collectors to erroneously attribute them to the wrong manufacturer.

I don't think many realise just how influential Reuben Heaton were on nearly all of the British Tackle Makers, from Victorian times to 1969 or thereabouts.

By the way, according to the Tea Club 'Experts', a loose of collection of n'er do wells who eat my Cake and drink my Tea, one sure way of spotting work by them is if you remove the spool. Look for Roman Numerals crudely etched on the inside plate and the spool, if they are there then Reuben Heaton are the makers.....ask me nicely and I can probably tell you who made the reel?

This was done because the reels were made on a 'piece work' basis so the maker left his mark as proof of his handiwork, otherwise he would not get payed!

Yes I am that sad to know such things....I have become an Anorak, it's official!!!

Matron is worried...so not all bad then!

Mole Power!!! :sun:
Say aye tae'a pie!

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

looks a lovely little reel that'd look nice on something liks a spanish reed float rod, i have a little allcocks Nottingham style that size i keep threatening to take over the lake one day on my reed rod but that'd look much nicer :wink:

MaggotDrowner
Sea Trout

Post by MaggotDrowner »

It just sold for £44.30, which wasn't too far off my max bid. I've never used a centre pin before. I have a modern one in the garage that has never been used and belongs to my Dad. I'll have to steal that one day to learn on before buying an older one.

Are they tricky things to use?
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

I only started using one this year I have no line guards and have got in a pickle a few times. Margin fishing for carp is just splendid. Not difficult at all really unless you want to do the wallis casting which I've not even attempted
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Return to “Other Reels”