Gloves

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
Tony1964

Gloves

Post by Tony1964 »

Another issue for me is cold fingers (moan moan moan). I would love to have some practical and warm gloves. I have tried the fingerless types and kept getting the barbed hook caught in the wool. On one trip I had a Basil Fawlty style fit on my gloves (remember when he whipped his car with the branch?) I am sure it must have looked amusing and I felt a lot better after! I have also tried the mitt style gloves where the end flops back over the fingers. None of these seem to suit me. Any ideas??

Davyr

Re: Gloves

Post by Davyr »

I usually rely on good handwarmer pockets in my jacket (not much use if you're trotting, though). I've found neoprene gloves quite good, so long as you put them on while your hands are still warm and don't expect them to perform miracles once your hands are already cold.

GloucesterOldSpot

Post by GloucesterOldSpot »

An old trick I've found effective in really cold weather is to immerse your hands in the water for twenty to thirty seconds on arrival. This contracts the blood vessels near the surface and encourages heat retention. Not recommended if you suffer from poor circulation or a heart complaint though!

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

I always think that must be linked to the phenomenon of "paradoxical warming", which causes people about to die of hypothermia to suddenly feel hot and starting taking their clothes off! :shock:

GloucesterOldSpot

Post by GloucesterOldSpot »

Not really - hypothermia sets in when the core temperature drops below about 36 degrees, which occurs when you experience sustained heat loss and are unable to replace it. Thirty seconds' immersion of warm hands in cold water will reduce the rate your body heat escapes through that part of the body, thus slowing down the heat exchange process.

Gurn
Chub

Post by Gurn »

The 'hand in the water' thing definitely works. I struggle to get along with any gloves whilst angling, to be honest. I find I have to keep taking them off to do things!...The new ones in the Fox Rage range look to be quite good though, I believe they are originally designed for gloving Pike.

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”