Adcock Stanton

The Other Reels forum.
Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Re: Adcock Stanton

Post by Kevanf1 »

Tigger wrote:
Kevanf1 wrote:I think the nuts are on correctly but I am not so sure it has a drag. The drag unit was (I think) slightly more prominent. Unless it is just the way it has been photographed?
Check this one out, it has no drag....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Adcock-Stanto ... 3a7b1fd80e

On the one's that have the drag screw/nut is on the outside of the flat head screw you can see like the one in the origional link.
Yes, you are right. It must be the way the first one is photographed as the drag unit does not look to have much depth. Ok, in reality they are not very prominent anyway. I must go and get mine out and check it as I haven't used either of them for a few years now. No intention of ever selling them though :)
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Used to be a nightmare selling the things - there were so many options...
5" with handles
5" with handles and drag
5" with handles with ratchet
5" with no handles
5" with no handles and drag
5" with no handles with ratchet
4.5" with handles
4.5" with handles and drag
4.5" with handles with ratchet
4.5" with no handles
4.5" with no handles and drag
4.5" with no handles with ratchet

In the latter years after you got through that lot you then had to sort out what colour the angler wanted. I was definitely ready for a coffee break after selling a Adcock's Stanton.
Just as an aside Cliff Adcock was working at Myfords Engineering in Beeston, Nottingham when he started producing them. His brother continued to work there alongside my father for many years.

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

:hahaha: I was starting to lose the will to live after tapping those few out :beg: but I'm guessing fellow danglers of fish food, got my drift.

Lovely bits of engineering but on a ball bearing race so not a true 'pin. Used a few of them but have ended up without one of my own, I did have one somewhere once as I have pictures of one at the side of a Grayling in the snow as well as an action sequence of me trotting a float under the ice on a tiny frozen brook and hooking and landing a Grayling doing so. Despite using Glycerine in the guides it was that cold the guides on the rod were still freezing solid every 2 trots. I gave up after catching a few and retired to the pub enjoying a pint in the Bridge Inn in front of a proper roaring fire. Fond memories indeed.

Guess I must have lent the reel to someone at some stage :hide:

Return to “Other Reels”