Where to find floats?

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Velossembly
Stickleback

Re: Where to find floats?

Post by Velossembly »

Maxima Chameleon "The Line the Fish Can't See" is all very well if you take the view that fish are spooked by the sight of line. Whereas, in fact, they are spooked by the feel of something that they didn't know was there. That's why red line works so well in waters with large amounts of Myriophyllum (Water Milfoil) present. The line just looks like the rest of the furniture.

What fish notice more is stiffness in a line; an issue largely solved by hair rigging. Toray was one of the most supple lines that I've come across but the last time I looked up a price I was aghast. The silkiest line I ever used was a free gift with "Angler's Mail". It was called "Rediline" and I've never seen it in any tackle shop. I used it only for hooklengths and even after 20 years storage in a dark cool drawer it still tested above its 4lb B.S. Alas, it's all gone now.

Some lines on offer seem to develop memory after only one outing. Will we ever get line makers to put date stamps on their spools? These days I stick with Daiwa "Sensor" - good honest monofil at a reasonable price. For hooklengths I use Drennan Double Strength fly leader which comes in 50m spools; cheap as chips from Glasgow Angling.

Sussex Micky
Arctic Char

Post by Sussex Micky »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 2:05 pm
Sussex Micky wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 6:46 am Give me your address and I will send you a few to get you fishing
micky
Lovely gesture Micky. Tff at its best.

Wal.
I sent a batch of assorted floats to him by signed for post Wal , tracking tells me they arrived and he signed for them but have never heard from this Gent saying he received them. Hopefully he is not ill or has problems , but he has not appeared in our forum since his first post

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Sussex Micky wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 5:30 pm
Sussex Micky wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 6:46 am Give me your address and I will send you a few to get you fishing
micky

Wal.
I sent a batch of assorted floats to him by signed for post Wal , tracking tells me they arrived and he signed for them but have never heard from this Gent saying he received them. Hopefully he is not ill or has problems , but he has not appeared in our forum since his first post
He must be ill Micky, nobody would simply ignore a lovely gift like that. Let's hope he gets well soon and he gets out to use a couple of the floats in the near future.

Wal.

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Yes.... to true..
I have been on the receiving end of Sussex Micky's lovely floats, truly works of art, and other lovely anglers and float makers who on our forum.
I like to think I have always shown my appreciation for such acts of kindness ,it doesn't take much.
I am always a little cagey about new members wanting things. It's about give and take and appreciating such things and be willing to give a little back as and when you can.
A quick edit.... sometimes as said... there could be a genuine reason for a delayed response.

Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Velossembly wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 3:59 pm Maxima Chameleon "The Line the Fish Can't See" is all very well if you take the view that fish are spooked by the sight of line. Whereas, in fact, they are spooked by the feel of something that they didn't know was there. That's why red line works so well in waters with large amounts of Myriophyllum (Water Milfoil) present. The line just looks like the rest of the furniture.

What fish notice more is stiffness in a line; an issue largely solved by hair rigging.
I've just caught up with this post and cannot agree with your comments. I do not wish to start an argument but my own observations about line visibility and scare factor do not fit in with yours. I have seen small carp in a rarely fished pool stop in their tracks then spook when they came across line below a float. Likewise barbel, especially when pressured, will actively look for the line coming off you lead and heading up through the water to your rod tip. I have seen the search extended to find the vertical line even when the lead was cast upstream and the line laid along the bottom for several yards.

The 'invisible' red line is a myth and much was made after experiments in seawater that has a different light diffraction.

I admit that many fish, including big roach, can be caught on relatively heavy lines when trotted at current speed in clear water. Their need to decide between eat or ignore is not sufficiently tuned to avoid being caught.

When I fish I assume that the fish can see my gear and do my best to either hide it or ensure that when they make a mistake, they get hooked. :Hat:

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

micky

Wal.
Another driver raced past me and then cut in front this evening. My first instinct was to be angry, then the wiser, older voice in my head told me he may be on a mercy dash, perhaps to visit someone unwell or in hospital, and to think positive thoughts.

I hope that either his old laptop has temporarily packed up, or that he will be OK and return to the thread sometime soon.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Phil Arnott
Chub

Post by Phil Arnott »

I agree with you Dave, many fish don't even mouth the bait if they don't like the look it, even when presented on fine tackle and small hooks. At the same time they readily take an unattached bait and you can observe that it's nothing to do with how the bait behaves.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Tengisgol wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 8:02 pm
micky

Wal.
Another driver raced past me and then cut in front this evening. My first instinct was to be angry, then the wiser, older voice in my head told me he may be on a mercy dash, perhaps to visit someone unwell or in hospital, and to think positive thoughts.

I hope that either his old laptop has temporarily packed up, or that he will be OK and return to the thread sometime soon.
Maybe just maybe, the user name of 'Cynic' could be a clue :whistle:

Martin James
Tench

Post by Martin James »

Micky just read the post ref floats, I find it hard to accept the person hasn't the decency to thank you and make a donation to a charity or TFF. Hopefully you will get a thank you.

Sussex Micky
Arctic Char

Post by Sussex Micky »

Martin James wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 2:35 pm Micky just read the post ref floats, I find it hard to accept the person hasn't the decency to thank you and make a donation to a charity or TFF. Hopefully you will get a thank you.
Martin , it's not a worry to me that I never received a thank you but in fairness he could have at least confirmed he received them :Confused: .but its history now as they say . by the way keep an eye on the post my friend :Wink:

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”