The Super Wizard, is it less of a rod than a Wizard?

The Allcocks Rods forum.
Gilbert
Rudd

Re: The Super Wizard, is it less of a rod than a Wizard?

Post by Gilbert »

SeanM wrote: Sun May 10, 2015 2:54 pm I think that all the Allcocks rods with sheet cork handles have a dowel under the cork, certainly my Isis does. I'm fairly sure that the B James rods such as the Avocet don't have a dowel handle, or at least those that are owned by some of my friends don't.
they don't.... i've repaired a couple of Allcocks sheet cork handles (it's not a job i go looking for) both have had split cane under the cork.

G

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

I used to own a Super Wizard with the oblong green label and lined rings. I couldn't get on with it as I found the action too "floppy". I'm sure this is due to the weight of the lined rings. The standard Wizards that I own have a more steely feel to them. Saying that, I think the Avocet is a far better rod particularly for chub and small to medium sized barbel.
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

I don’t think think the Super Wizard is less of a rod than the standard Wizard.
The extra weight of the lined rings is bound to make difference, and if that bothered me, I’d change them.
I gathered together quite a collection of Wizards over the years, by both Allcocks and various other makers. Most were nice rods, but all different, some had the elusive steely feel, some didn’t.
My favourite Wizard is an early green stained, first version. I used this rod a lot, and decide I would make a replica, as close to the original as I could. I was pleased with the result, but it felt completely different to the original old Wizard.
I believe there are several reasons for this, the obvious one being the cane the rod is made from, it is a natural material, and will vary in density etc. Heat treatment also makes a big difference, and different makers all had their preferred way of doing this. Something not often mentioned, is the varnishing. I spent many years trying to achieve that elusive ‘glass’ high gloss finish. Varnish is heavy…I now apply enough to keep the water out, and no more.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Crucian have you tried PU glue as a way of waterproofing cane blanks?

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Liphook wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 2:09 pm Crucian have you tried PU glue as a way of waterproofing cane blanks?
No, I haven’t tried that. I use it for all my cork handles, and have glued new cane blanks with it, but prefer pva for this.

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”