Uncle Len's fly tying box.

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Uncle Len's fly tying box.

Post by Tonytoned »

Hello Everyone.

Len was my late friend's uncle who was a bit of a legend during the 1970's and 80's. A person I looked up to when fishing in my teens, and generally a very nice informative bloke, and always helpful. "These were good and memorable days". Sadly Len must have passed during the late 1990's early 2000's.

Move to September 2021 I lost my dear friend Martin who bequeathed all of his fishing tackle to me, which included quite a bit of Lens tackle. Among which was this wonderful quite large homemade wooden fly tying box.

Beautiful box measuring 28"x12"x5".

I love the makeshift lids, a small square of ply with a cut down wine cork for a handle.

One of many surprises inside the box, were these two small envelopes dated and beautifully hand written from 1931, containing cock hackle feathers with the dates they were plucked.

A freebie from Trout Fisherman magazine with Lens name above.

Len always put his name and address on items of tackle, just in case he lost them.

There are some of Len's homemade specials in here.

Len had a go at tying some flies especially the spider ones among some of the shop bought flies.

This little cigar box itself must be a bit of a find with some more of Len's hand tied flies inside.

It's like history in a box!

Thank you for reading :Hat:

Marc
Sea Trout

Re: Uncle Len's fly tying box.

Post by Marc »

Quite a handle Len had. Like the main character in a spy novel. “Fanstone, Len Fanstone”… licence to tie flies and occasionally use them.

Even though getting tackle like this usually means the loss of a friend or relative, it’s still thrilling to pick your way through and it brings you a little closer to that person. Tackle boxes being very individual in content and organisation. This one looks great too.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Marc wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:07 am Quite a handle Len had. Like the main character in a spy novel. “Fanstone, Len Fanstone”… licence to tie flies and occasionally use them.

Even though getting tackle like this usually means the loss of a friend or relative, it’s still thrilling to pick your way through and it brings you a little closer to that person. Tackle boxes being very individual in content and organisation. This one looks great too.
Thank you Marc. That is very true and interesting. But thank you again for taking the time to read and leave a reply.

:Hat:

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

Very sad to lose your good friend, and him his uncle, but what a treasure trove he left behind. Every time you look at the large fly tying box the memories will flood back. Not everyone is lucky enough to have that pleasure. Enjoy, as I'm sure you will....

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

BoltonBullfinch wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:48 pm Very sad to lose your good friend, and him his uncle, but what a treasure trove he left behind. Every time you look at the large fly tying box the memories will flood back. Not everyone is lucky enough to have that pleasure. Enjoy, as I'm sure you will....

Thanks
BB
Thank you BoltonBullfinch. Yes Martin was only 61 and a school friend from the 1970's. But I feel that I need to tie some flies using Len's stuff. There is a vice and other tools too, so eventually I think I will.

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

'Good old Uncle Len'
I bet he would be chuffed that you have it and for sharing it with like minded anglers.
Nice Selection fly's too! You will enjoy using them and add a little more history yourself.

Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Thank you Mr B.
Yeah he was a great character. As you say although sad it was intriguing to see what was in the box.

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”