500 bells and whipping thread colour?

The Chapmans Rods forum.
Cat
Chub

500 bells and whipping thread colour?

Post by Cat »

Afternoon All, Would one of you learned restorers please let me know the correct whipping thread colour and make (well, as near as possible from current manufacturers), along with the correct bell type and sizes for a standard 500 please? Close season restoration project. Regards Cat

Crucian
Eel

Re: 500 bells and whipping thread colour?

Post by Crucian »

The thread you need is ‘A’ grade, in maroon/claret. The rings ‘low bells’ (bridge). The original butt and tip rings ( particularly the tip ring) were of low quality, most people change these for lined rings. There were two versions of the 500, standard and de luxe, the difference being 2 more rings on the de luxe, again, most people add the extra rings when restoring. Very nice rods, versatile and capable. Please show us the results of your endeavours.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Slightly off topic but I have both a standard with the maroon whippings and fewer rings and a restored de luxe with the additional rings but the maker used olive whippings. Both lovely rods with the de luxe being slightly more user friendly. If I ever get one of them restored though, I’d have high bell rings fitted - in the rain, wet line from a ‘pin doesn’t half stick to the cane.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Thanks both.

Gilbert
Rudd

Post by Gilbert »

this may be controversial , but there are so many 500/550 rods out there i regard these excellent rods as a foil for a bit of creativity especially as Chapmans were so parsimonious when they fitted their rods out . here is a pic of my two 550s -- one has a non standard handle because the ferrule on the original was nackered so i built a new one on a good solid float rod butt . i like re dressing Chapmans , it is an opportunity for a bit of fun.

Cheers G

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Thanks G

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”