2lb 6oz monster

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Harry H
Rainbow Trout

2lb 6oz monster

Post by Harry H »

I would not want to hold this for long especially with the appropriate reel and as for a fish that it was ment to catch you would definately need to be built like a brick ****house! I do like the whippings on it (does anyone recognise them)its 9 1/2 ft long and there are no makers details it has a broken butt ring and a replacement tip eye so Ithink it will end up as a landing net handle.

There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Re: 2lb 6oz monster

Post by LuckyLuca »

Looks like a Marco nymph I picked up last year. Very similar fittings and whippings.

Mine is now a landing net handle!!

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3069
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

LuckyLuca wrote:Looks like a Marco nymph I picked up last year. Very similar fittings and whippings.

Mine is now a landing net handle!!
Hi LuckyLuca
Did you use the ferrules or some other way of joining the cane and how long did you make it. :Thumb:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Hi Harry,
As you say, these things are beasts!
I removed the rings, cut the handle above the fitting and refitted the butt cap.
Would have liked to keep it full length but it was just to heavy. I kept the original ferrules and used a
Keep net adaptor as a fitting on the end for the net.
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

LuckyLuca wrote:Hi Harry,
As you say, these things are beasts!
I removed the rings, cut the handle above the fitting and refitted the butt cap.
Would have liked to keep it full length but it was just to heavy. I kept the original ferrules and used a
Keep net adaptor as a fitting on the end for the net.
Thanks for the info :Thumb:
Anthony Shepherdson

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Before you get drastic on it, you might see if member "Hamburger" is interested in it: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=8747&hilit=sea+rods

"Trad" sea anglers are a bit thin on the ground, it would seem.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Harry H wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:36 pm I would not want to hold this for long especially with the appropriate reel and as for a fish that it was ment to catch you would definately need to be built like a brick ****house! I do like the whippings on it (does anyone recognise them)its 9 1/2 ft long and there are no makers details it has a broken butt ring and a replacement tip eye so Ithink it will end up as a landing net handle.

Hi Harry,
I have been going through some of my old sea fishing tackles and have been reading some interesting post on TFF.
I came across this one and thought.... "I've one of them" there were no photos available though.
My one is 9ft and yes a beast!
It was made though when 20lbs Cod were caught on piers!
I am going to give my one a little refurb and along with a big wooden centerpin and a knotted hanky for a hat, take it for an airing this summer just for the romance of it on a pier, if can find one that you can still fish from? Herne Bay they say you can, but I will double check that.
Is your one like this one?

Mr B
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Mr B wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:01 am
Harry H wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:36 pm I would not want to hold this for long especially with the appropriate reel and as for a fish that it was ment to catch you would definately need to be built like a brick ****house! I do like the whippings on it (does anyone recognise them)its 9 1/2 ft long and there are no makers details it has a broken butt ring and a replacement tip eye so Ithink it will end up as a landing net handle.

Hi Harry,
I have been going through some of my old sea fishing tackles and have been reading some interesting post on TFF.
I came across this one and thought.... "I've one of them" there were no photos available though.
I am going to give my one a little refurb and along with a big wooden centerpin and a knotted hanky for a hat, take it for an airing this summer just for the romance of it on a pier, if can find one that you can still fish from? Herne Bay they say you can, but I will double check that.

Mr B
I don't remember the rod but then again I'm struggling with what happened yesterday let alone 11 years ago :Confused:
I do go sea fishing every now and again, normally off Walton Pier.
I still have a Chapmans Walton to restore waiting in the getting around to it pile.
Anthony Shepherdson

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Harry H wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:38 am
Mr B wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:01 am

Hi Harry,

Mr B
I don't remember the rod but then again I'm struggling with what happened yesterday let alone 11 years ago :Confused:
I do go sea fishing every now and again, normally off Walton Pier.
I still have a Chapmans Walton to restore waiting in the getting around to it pile.
That looks a nice set up Harry, nice rod and reel.
I bet the Chapmans Walton is a nice rod.
I have a few old sea rods... quite a few and lots of reels too.
This is my old 7000.. not as pristine as your one!
I wished I kept the original handle! I took it off around 15 years ago and must have thrown it away!
Hopefully your get out on that pier in the summer.👍
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”