Free Fishing!

Watched a good fishing film lately, why not talk about it in here.
DaceAce
Eel

Free Fishing!

Post by DaceAce »

I take a look at some of the aspects concerning free fishing in England. I grew up up surrounded by waters that were regarded as 'free' but the truth was far more complex.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Re: Free Fishing!

Post by Tengisgol »

A very useful summary, well done Mark.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Really enjoyed that as someone who likes to know the Do's and don'ts of English law.
I find all this very interesting, with the tidal free fishing in towns, King Johns Magna Carta and local council bylaws etc.
They often change, as in the free fishing on the Kentish Stour in Canterbury, thats stopped now.
All very, very interesting Mark.
I have an affinity with the Thames and have met over the years some very interesting urban anglers along the away.
Only yesterday I was talking to Mark in a pub on the river who landed the 55 lbs plus Carp in an enclosed water in London that had open access to the Thames.
Keep your videos coming, always something of interest and a lot of hard work you out in to.
Thank you
Mr B
It is on YouTube but because of the language I haven't added the link.
Its truly amazing what some of our free stretches of the rivers hold and fish great and small swim past or stay.
Ps... clip of the Carp.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Thank you Mark, a very useful post on some of the do's and dont's to be aware of! :Hat:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I'm a great fan of areas of free fishing on the Thames as they're often better than the nearby club water. One area over the last few years has produced three perch over the 5lb mark and another hot spot is very popular with barbel anglers who regularly catch them to over 15lb, with the odd chub to 7lb. Whereas further down the river on the club stretch they have matches and regularly moan about how bad the Thames is these days. I guess they're just after silvers which actually mostly frequent the free stretch above and a part that is too complicated to have riparian ownership so is essentially free fishing if you have a punt.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Return to “Fishing Films”