Sea Streak Subtleties

The K. P. Morritts Reels forum.
Crucian
Eel

Re: Sea Streak Subtleties

Post by Crucian »

Was it not the ‘air brakes’ that were the cause of the infamous howl, Rather than the bearings? Whatever it was, I couldn’t afford one, and had to make do with various second hand Penns, until I got a Mitchell 602.

Rockape
Roach

Post by Rockape »

Crucian wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:18 pm Was it not the ‘air brakes’ that were the cause of the infamous howl, Rather than the bearings? Whatever it was, I couldn’t afford one, and had to make do with various second hand Penns, until I got a Mitchell 602.
Possibly correct Crucian, I was going by a comment someone made (I forget where now), that oiling the bearings reduced it to a hum.

I confess, I should have tested that one out myself before making that comment (as soon as I can get a winch fit beach rod, I will put it to the test myself and report back). :Hat:

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Rockape wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:42 pm
Crucian wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:18 pm Was it not the ‘air brakes’ that were the cause of the infamous howl, Rather than the bearings? Whatever it was, I couldn’t afford one, and had to make do with various second hand Penns, until I got a Mitchell 602.
Possibly correct Crucian, I was going by a comment someone made (I forget where now), that oiling the bearings reduced it to a hum.

I confess, I should have tested that one out myself before making that comment (as soon as I can get a winch fit beach rod, I will put it to the test myself and report back). :Hat:
I’m sure you’re right regarding the oil, not something we paid much attention to back then, which is probably why they corroded so badly, lack of maintenance. I remember being very impressed with my friends Sea Streak, it had plenty of knobs and levers, most of which were a mystery to us. I do remember the ratchet, I believe it had several positions, just like the Intrepid Surfcast fixed spool that my father used for many years. I also remember various other Intrepid multipliers, the Buccaneer? A black reel, and another red one which I can’t recall the name. Popular reels at the time, and British made of course. Many memories, good days.

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

[/quote]

Their 'Sea Screech/Scream' reputation doesn't help either, though I think if owners back in the day had oiled the spool bearings regularly (and not with 3 in One oil), this unwelcome trait could have been massively reduced.

[/quote]

I agree that for the most part, reels could have been oiled more than they were-which still applies today in some cases,

but would be interested in why you find "3-in-1" oil to be so unsuitable for reels?

I have used it for many years and except for tournament casting -which very few do- find it perfectly OK for all general fishing reels, both river and sea.

wm+ :Hat:

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Rockape
Roach

Post by Rockape »

Watermole+ wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:18 pm

Their 'Sea Screech/Scream' reputation doesn't help either, though I think if owners back in the day had oiled the spool bearings regularly (and not with 3 in One oil), this unwelcome trait could have been massively reduced.

[/quote]

I agree that for the most part, reels could have been oiled more than they were-which still applies today in some cases,

but would be interested in why you find "3-in-1" oil to be so unsuitable for reels?

I have used it for many years and except for tournament casting -which very few do- find it perfectly OK for all general fishing reels, both river and sea.

[/quote]

My apologies to eveyrone on this, I think it is quite suitable for fishing reels in general, but I was thinking that using too thin an oil, may not subdue the bearing noise enough.

I think I should wind my neck in on this one and do a few experiments before extending it again..lol!
Now I do have a really good reason to use these reels in anger (not literally of course).

Much respect to you Watermole (and all) :Hat:

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

Rockape wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:51 pm

[/quote]

My apologies to eveyrone on this, I think it is quite suitable for fishing reels in general, but I was thinking that using too thin an oil, may not subdue the bearing noise enough.

I think I should wind my neck in on this one and do a few experiments before extending it again..lol!
Now I do have a really good reason to use these reels in anger (not literally of course).

[/quote]

Not at all sir-and no need to apologize for anything. I was just curious as to why you thought “3-in-1” unsuitable and wasn’t thinking (as usual).
Bearings were quite often a “rattling good fit” :Hahaha: on many reels then! Some makers claimed it was just “generous clearances” to prevent seizing but I think that you would have to use R220 gear oil to kill the bearing noise on some of them!

It was a bit of a catch-22 really. Making precision ground spindles and bearing bushes of correct tolerance for very high speed running takes much more time=money, so to keep the cost down, they erred on the loose side. Make them too tight for maximum running speed and without the right lubricants, they could seize up seriously big Time..

I think that the Sea Streak was a very good reel for the money and provided that you didn’t expect them to compete with the Abu stable distance-wise, Intrepid reels performed very well on the whole. My old ‘Supreme’ F/S is still giving good service after 63 years in the salt, but does get washed off in clean water afterwards and oiled with 3- in-1!

Some really excellent examples of the Sea Streak posted on here…please keep them coming!

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Rockape
Roach

Post by Rockape »

Watermole+ wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:29 pm
Rockape wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:51 pm

[/quote]

Not at all sir-and no need to apologize for anything. I was just curious as to why you thought “3-in-1” unsuitable and wasn’t thinking (as usual).
Bearings were quite often a “rattling good fit” :Hahaha: on many reels then! Some makers claimed it was just “generous clearances” to prevent seizing but I think that you would have to use R220 gear oil to kill the bearing noise on some of them!

It was a bit of a catch-22 really. Making precision ground spindles and bearing bushes of correct tolerance for very high speed running takes much more time=money, so to keep the cost down, they erred on the loose side. Make them too tight for maximum running speed and without the right lubricants, they could seize up seriously big Time..

I think that the Sea Streak was a very good reel for the money and provided that you didn’t expect them to compete with the Abu stable distance-wise, Intrepid reels performed very well on the whole. My old ‘Supreme’ F/S is still giving good service after 63 years in the salt, but does get washed off in clean water afterwards and oiled with 3- in-1!

Some really excellent examples of the Sea Streak posted on here…please keep them coming!

[/quote]

I will get them all out for a full group shot over the weekend, and I'll post it here.

I was checking out my ABU 6500 CT Elite (blue) last night, and wondered why Ken Morritt ever thought a deep wide spool was such a good idea for a beach reel, but then that makes it a better boat reel than the ABU I suppose? Or maybe his design inovations demanded it?
The difference in feel and performance is miles apart.

I am really looking forward to blasting a lead over the field with the Sea Streak now. :Thumb:

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

I would be very interested in hearing of your field casting experiences with these reels Rockape. They were a little before my time as a sea angler and long before my time as someone with a keen interest in the techniques and practicalities of casting :Hat:

Rockape
Roach

Post by Rockape »

Liphook wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:19 am I would be very interested in hearing of your field casting experiences with these reels Rockape. They were a little before my time as a sea angler and long before my time as someone with a keen interest in the techniques and practicalities of casting :Hat:
Absolutely no problem Liphook.
I've been on the lookout for a suitable rod to mount them on.

Around 1975, when I started to learn different casting techniques, I had an 11'6" Vortex beachcaster, ringed for a multiplier, and my new (big A) ABU 7000.
After a few years I put the casting practice to bed until the mid 90's, where I then bought two 6500's and two 7HT's for my Daiwa AWB pendulum rods, so for this experiment, and for nostalgia reasons, I would love to find another Vortex rod (very long cork grip and double nut winch fitting) to mount the Sea Streaks on.

I don't envisage big distances from the outfit (I'm not a 'big hitter' really), due to the risk of breaking a rod not designed to take a full pendulum style cast (which I wont do), but I'll give it a good off the ground attempt, also I don't have the longest thumbs to grip the larger spool.
I will dry the bearings, then ad different viscosities of oil until they are proper greased, and I was thinking of getting the missus to video it all, but please bear with me until I get it all together.
Plus, it has been a few years since I wound up for a big cast.

I really would like to test my (probably erronious) theories on the 'Scream/screech' reputation, and try out the Thumatic cast control mechanisim too, though I don't use brake blocks or magnets in the ABU's.

Watch this space. :Thumb:

Rockape
Roach

Post by Rockape »

Ok, here are a few more photos I took earlier (getting. Each one of them down below 500kb has degraded the resolution somewhat, but better fhat than nothing.

I would also like to thank eveyone who has contributed to this thread.

:Hat:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “K. P. Morritts Reels”