The J. B. Walker Rods forum.
Gilbert
Rudd

Re: J B Walker Kit Rods

Post by Gilbert »

Santiago wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:37 pm
Gilbert wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:45 pm
Santiago wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:03 am
RBTraditional wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:53 am I’ve not heard of a JBW rod MK1V coming with two tips, especially one with an Avon butt. However Allocks did make a Carp Avon which essentially was a carp rod with a spare Avon top section… if the decals are missing on your example Trevor, maybe it a restored version? … Just a thought….
It's not a restored version, it has a tackle shop name on, I think it's 'Peeks'. I'll have a look tonight .
Peeks were a highly respected business who retailed rods made by top builders . among them being one Ted Oliver . if you have one of his rods you have a very fine stick .Olivers silk work was exceptional and very recognisable ........ post a pic of a ring wrap if you can. :tea: G
My apologies Gilbert , the rod is from a shop called P. Weekes, in Harrow, Paddington W9. The handle is 26" and the butt section looks like an avon MKIV whereas the tip section looks like its from a MKIV kit carp rod. It's all original condition apart from the tip ring which has been replaced at some time, and it looks like it my have lost a titch from the very tip.. The cork handle is also unusual as at the top it's nothing like any of the B. James versions, it's just straight, no bulge etc. whatsoever. And the rubber button is one of those pale red ones. And just to confuse matters the female ferrule looks very similar to those used by B. James (reenforced).

But it's definitely an Avon/ carp hybrid that's never been restored! I'm just surmising that it might have also originally come with an Avon tip as well as the carp tip.
please don't think i'm setting out to be rude - i'm not , but you have been trying to make this rod into something it's not for a long time . it is a kit rod - or possibly a fusion of 2 rods .or maybe a rod built by a tackle shop so he can earn a few bob in the quiet times ----why not flog it and buy a MKIV London rod which can be got for £250-£300 with a good chance it will be a Southwell blank. ?
BTW Harrow is not in Paddington . P Weekes will be from Harrow Rd , Paddington W9.in the Maida Vale area..... Harrow is a few miles out of Town. G

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Yes, it says Harrow Rd, Paddington W9, in very small writing . I forgot to add Rd. I lived in London for over 8 years and I know where Harrow is, I had a friend the lived there.

I've only ever mentioned this rod a few times and not since 2020. Apparently Allcocks did a carp/avon with two tips, so the concept has pedigree . The cane looks great even if it is under pretty thick varnish. But there's absolutely nothing special about it other than it appears to be a fusion of the Avon and carp in original condition. I should really get around to restoring it.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Gilbert
Rudd

Post by Gilbert »

Hi Santiago
i was born in Harrow so i try to look after it's interests !

yes Allcocks did a Carp Avon.. it was not entirely successful in my opinion as the Avon tips have a habit of breaking so getting both tips is a rarity . i don't think any other firm did a Carp/Avon except possibly by special order;
Chapmans did one by accident as a lot of 500 tips will also fit the 550 . i have 3 x 500/550s all with interchangeable tips .fine rods they are too. if you have not tried the 500.550 rods try to buy one of each . they are more useable than the MKIVs in my opinion. just make sure the butt ferrule is in good order if you do .-replacements are difficult . cheers G

Return to “J. B. Walker Cane Rods”