Mepps Super Vamp early version ?

The Other Reels forum.
Russell Howard Brown
Ruffe

Mepps Super Vamp early version ?

Post by Russell Howard Brown »

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
A Super Vamp for me to fiddle with and for Rockape to look at.With its 3 prong drag knob and cap and different to my other Super model that has a more conventional drag knob.Some of the screws were typically chewed up so I gave them a bit of TLC with a needle file.The reel turn quite smoothly but as you can see in the pics,the internal gubbins need a good clean and a nice dollop of fresh grease applied.As I've said before,delightfully over engineered,80 years old and a little bit addictive.TTFN πŸ˜ŽπŸ‘

Rockape
Roach

Re: Mepps Super Vamp early version ?

Post by Rockape »

Thanks for posting those great photos Russ, and congrats on obtaining it. :Thumb:
Yes, it does look like a very early example (to my eyes); these fabulous old reels really get my heart racing and you do have an amazing knack of sniffing them out.

Very cool! :Cool:

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

Another beauty Russell. I do like these Mepps reels, very tactile.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Russell Howard Brown
Ruffe

Fredline wrote: ↑Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:05 am Another beauty Russell. I do like these Mepps reels, very tactile.
Hi Fredline,Can your annoying Wrights book (you have a copy and I don't πŸ˜‚) shed any light as to the time line of this particular Super Vamp ??? Knowledge is power and I'm a slave to your all consuming intellect.

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

These are the pages from Bens' book. You should be able to open them up.
ImageImageImage
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Russell Howard Brown
Ruffe

Fredline wrote: ↑Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:27 pm These are the pages from Bens' book. You should be able to open them up.
ImageImageImage
Thanks Fredline for doing that for me.Always appreciated.πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

Return to β€œOther Reels”