Orlando Jecta

The Grice and Young Reels forum.
Willsmodger
Rudd

Orlando Jecta

Post by Willsmodger »

Orlando Jecta. Available from Cash Converters online for £14.99 + £3.99 postage. Looks to me to be vgc, but no doubt you experts can tell better.

All the best
Will.

John Milford
Grayling

Re: Orlando Jecta

Post by John Milford »

Looks a nice one at a very fair price to me Will - get in before someone nabs it! :Wink:

I believe they can be switched from right to left-hand wind (if that is your preference) by unbolting and swapping the positions of the reel seat and spindle.
A seeker of "the fell tyrant of the liquid plain".

Willsmodger
Rudd

Post by Willsmodger »

Thanks John.

I didn't want it, just saw it and thought of you guys. I guess the spindle on the back plate enables front on casting. It's gone anyway, hopefully a TFF member has grabbed it.

All the best
Will

John Milford
Grayling

Post by John Milford »

Willsmodger wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:31 pm Thanks John.

I didn't want it, just saw it and thought of you guys. I guess the spindle on the back plate enables front on casting. It's gone anyway, hopefully a TFF member has grabbed it.

All the best
Will
Hi Will,

When I noticed it was still there after a few days, I realised you were giving us the 'heads up', so to speak, rather than considering it yourself. Thanks for that! :Hat:

Anyway, I eventually nabbed it. It wasn't clear what size it was, but I took the risk anyway as I was sure I could find a good use for it.

Turns out it was the 4½" model - just what I'd hoped. 'Tizer' Mick uses his for pike fishing (which is exactly what I will be doing with mine too).

Thanks again for spotting and sharing. :Thumb:

Willsmodger
Rudd

Post by Willsmodger »

Cheers John, may all your pike be monsters. 👍 glad someone is going to get some use our of it.

All the best
Will.

Tizer
Chub

Post by Tizer »

John Milford wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:06 am
Willsmodger wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:31 pm Thanks John.

All the best
Will
Hi Will,

When I noticed it was still there after a few days, I realised you were giving us the 'heads up', so to speak, rather than considering it yourself. Thanks for that! :Hat:

Anyway, I eventually nabbed it. It wasn't clear what size it was, but I took the risk anyway as I was sure I could find a good use for it.

Turns out it was the 4½" model - just what I'd hoped. 'Tizer' Mick uses his for pike fishing (which is exactly what I will be doing with mine too).

Thanks again for spotting and sharing. :Thumb:
I nearly went for it myself boy, didn't need it but I wanted it glad it went to a good home ,it will add to your pike fishing fun, that is for sure and you will be able to cast just as far as you could with a fixed spool reel, well 70 yards anyway, happy days

John Milford
Grayling

Post by John Milford »

Tizer wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:01 pm I nearly went for it myself boy, didn't need it but I wanted it glad it went to a good home ,it will add to your pike fishing fun, that is for sure and you will be able to cast just as far as you could with a fixed spool reel, well 70 yards anyway, happy days
I'll be giving it a trial next week Mick. :Thumb:

It seems to me that the spool can be put on the 'casting spindle' either way (handles forward, or handles backward) so that you can alternate to counteract the build up of line twist.

As you're a seasoned Orlando user Mick, is that what you'd recommend?

Tizer
Chub

Post by Tizer »

That is what the little blue lever is for (if it has one) lever forward means the last cast was with the handles facing forward ,next cast put the blue lever back and cast with the handles facing backwards, all my other sidecast reels suffer from line twist,they do look a bit bulky and awkward but they work, and you will get some funny looks but that is part of the fun, I was out today with them on my Barrie Rickards rods,home made bite alarms ,home made pike cradle 40 year old chair that is held together with tape,landing net that has been modified so that the net section is removable and the pole can extend another 5ft if need be,home made trace's (circle hook of course),oh and my reading material for today was fishing from the fish's point of view,

John Milford
Grayling

Post by John Milford »

Ah, I wondered what that coloured lever was on some models (mine doesn't have that feature).

I will just have to rely on my memory! :Confused:

I'm going to load my reel with braided line. It'll still twist of course, but seems to behave better than mono.

Grumpy
Arctic Char

Post by Grumpy »

I use one of these reels 3.5" dia for Chub and Barbel fishing.I do alternate the spool when casting as line twist can and does occur.Very agricultural but it works well.A couple of mods I did was to saw the T piece off the ratchet lever as it kept getting in the way.Rounded the lever off with a file and it is much better.I also tweaked the reel fitting by removing it and drilling two extra bolt holes.This brings the reel nearer the rod handle which gives me more control.

Return to “Grice and Young Reels”