Another MK IV thread sorry!

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
David
Dace

Re: Another MK IV thread sorry!

Post by David »

Hi EdNash. I just wanted to say that during the refurbishment of an old rod that had black whippings. I found that on removing the whippings I found that they were actually a mid green. Over the years, and several coats of varnish, they appeared to be black. So your rod could quite possibly also have green whippings. Just a thought.

David
Dace

Post by David »

EdNash asks how to tell an Avon from a carp. As was said previously. On B James rods Avon was written on the Avon but the carp said just MK1V. But the Avon had a 24 inch handle and the Carp had a 28 inch handle approximately. some had a half inch or so slight difference either way. This was probably caused by slight difference in the thickness of the cork shives used in the handle construction :tea:

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:30 pm Generally, unless it says Avon it's a carp rod. Definitely green whipped and the spigot end ferrules and Ealing address makes it an early rod.
Not everyone's thoughts of course, especially on these older rods but in my opinion it would be well worth stripping and doing a full restoration on.

Wal.
I would wholeheartedly agree Wal, underneath that aging varnish is an absolutely beautiful piece of cane.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”