Silk lines for cane fly rods.

General fly fishing chat area.
ChrisMec
Ruffe

Silk lines for cane fly rods.

Post by ChrisMec »

I have been fishing with a 10ft Cane fly rod for a few seasons using a modern line, the rings at the tip are very small just allowing the line to pass through. I would like to use my Cane rod with a Silk line as it should be used but looking for information on the internet, it's a minefield. If there are fishers of Cane fly rods on this Forum using Silk fly lines any help you can give will be appreciated.

Paul F
Sea Trout

Re: Silk lines for cane fly rods.

Post by Paul F »

You can get lucky with an old vintage silk line, but be careful as they can often be rotten & very weak, occasionally they turn up as old unused & boxed, but may need a clean or strip of proofing and re-treating.

Phoenix lines are a newly made silk line, they are pure silk, but varnished which means they can be used from the box, but they do remain a little stiffer for a number of years.

My absolute favourite are Terenzzio silk lines from Italy, they are pure silk, but you are supplied with deer fat, which you have to work into the line yourself, the more you do this, and the more you use the line the better it gets. My lines got as soft as a silk handkerchief in a couple of seasons, and fly through the rings and air silient and soft on to the water. My lines are 6yrs old now and are the best line I've ever used, and worth every penny, and will be good for 20 more years.

If you go for a silk line, get a line dryer, when you finish fishing wind the wet end onto the dryer, never leave a wet line on the reel, it will rot in no time.

Edit: My silk lines are not 6yrs old, more like 12 years old, I have a 4 & 2wt
Last edited by Paul F on Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Post by Barbelseeker »

suppose you could look here, but not cheap:

https://www.barbless-flies.co.uk/produc ... effield-uk

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Great advice Paul F đź‘Ť If you do enough flyfishing then a quality silk line will pay for itself in short time. The Peche A Soie lines and half lines are great too

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

That's a great post Paul, very informative.
Silk lines must be a viable, and environmentaly sound, alternative to plastic given their longevity.
I have one to use on a local stream during the closed coarse season :Thumb:
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

ChrisMec
Ruffe

Post by ChrisMec »

Thank you for your reply Paul F. I have looked at Phoenix Fly lines in Sheffield they are made with the finest quality pure Chinese silk. They are made in France but the price is more than i am willing to pay 210.00 Euro (ÂŁ179.00)

I have also looked at Terenzio Fly lines, the site advertise two lines, Natural Silk Rat Tail (Tenkara Tail) suitable for the ancient Japanese Technique of fly fishing practiced since the eighth century, also Revolution Rattail (Mouse Tail). The revolution artificial silk tails have a elasticity that helps cushion the "via ferrata" (Italian for "iron path" a climbing route found in the Alps. I could find no prices on the site as i do not speak Italian and could not find any adverts in the UK i came out of the site.
Again thank you for your reply and for the interesting information. I tried Translate from Italian to English it did not help.

Barbelseeker i also thank you for your reply, Ian Moxon Silk fly lines made in Sheffield sold by Barbless Flies advertise a Silk DT light straw line for ÂŁ99.99 unfortunately are sold out. I left my E-mail address for when they are available again. I also thank you again and for the information.

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

ChrisMec wrote: ↑Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:58 pm I have been fishing with a 10ft Cane fly rod for a few seasons using a modern line, the rings at the tip are very small just allowing the line to pass through. I would like to use my Cane rod with a Silk line as it should be used but looking for information on the internet, it's a minefield. If there are fishers of Cane fly rods on this Forum using Silk fly lines any help you can give will be appreciated.

The only thing that I would add to Paul F’s post is that, if you have a comparatively modern 10’ rod, you would most probably need a line of #7 weight to match and not many makers are offering that now.

The silk line comes into its own when used with the shorter length rods up to about say 8’, #5 weight.

I use a #6 when night fishing for sea trout with larger flies and a longer rod, but that is the exception. A 10’ rod could stop a salmon and casting one all day single handed would be punishing, whatever line you use.

As you say, new silk lines are not cheap, but they should be viewed as an investment-and you get what you pay for!

I still have the very first “Kingfisher” line that I ever had and it is still in good condition, because it has always been looked after:-

However, because the tapered ends were getting a bit short, I bought a new “Phoenix” direct from Mike and Jean Brookes in France many years ago and it’s as soft as anything, has zero memory and about half the diameter of a plastic one.

The old “Kingfisher” silk lines were made by Cumberland Ltd and when the company ceased production, were resurrected by Noel Buxton under the “Phoenix” label. Noel was a great chap and made super lines but eventually succumbed to emphysema and the brand taken over by Mike and Jean in France- and still in production today there.

Unlike modern plastic ones, each silk line is very much hand made and you do get value for money, particularly when you consider that if properly looked after, a silk line will far outlast any modern one. Proper drying after use and only using the correct dressing is paramount, otherwise no problem. Neglect that and it will rot in two years.

As far as I know, Ian Moxon hasn’t made any new lines for some time now and his webpage gives no clue as to whether he will again.

Stuart Tod of “Cadno” lines seem to have vanished below the radar..

Terenzio lines can be bought direct from Italy. There are agents here but they add their mark-up.

Peche a Soie lines are limited in size availability, but are very fine quality indeed. If I were buying a new line today, I would unhesitatingly go for one of theirs, if I could not get a Phoenix.

If you are looking for a silk line, just to experience one on your rod, it might be that you will be disappointed, for as said, they come into their own on the shorter and crisp actioned cane trout rods. My own thoughts are that you wouldn’t really feel any of those casting benefits with a longer and probably heavier one.

I do have a No.4 DT Kingfisher, which is the equivalent to a #7, absolutely unused in its original perfect condition box and wrapping, but it dates from about 1970 and has gone very dark with age and would require cleaning and redressing before it could be used.
If you would like to undertake that, send a PM.!

If you just want to experience a silk line on your rod, why not consider a Cortland “Sylk” line?
They are modern but made much thinner and- more importantly- available in the heavier size suitable for a 10’ rod.

It would be a less expensive option ..

wm +

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Martin James
Tench

Post by Martin James »

Leszek once again you have given us a lot of very good information on silk lines, your knowledge is so important, please keep up the good work, with your vast amount of information. Thank you

ChrisMec
Ruffe

Post by ChrisMec »

Thank you for your reply Watermole you are correct i have been using it with a #7 line as with another 10ft rod (not cane) i
use the other rod early in the season as i do not like to use my cane rods in the cold weather.
I do have another Cane rod 9ft #6 line i first started fishing with in the 1980s, that rod has handled Sea Trout and Salmon a
very soft wet fly rod.
I have read about the Cortland "Sylk" 444 line if i do not manage a Silk Line by March it will be my next choice.
I am interested in the DT Kingfisher. P.M. sent.

Return to “General Fly Chat”