Modern Arms Company Reel

The Other Reels forum.
Humber67
Gudgeon

Modern Arms Company Reel

Post by Humber67 »

I got two reels for Christmas one Allcocks which I bought for many hundreds of pounds. The other my wife bought for £8 !!!! Knowing my love for all things Marco and the family connection. I don’t know much about the reel making this may just be badged and bought in but it’s very well made and good quality if anyone has any info I would be very interested.
Martin.
ImageImageImage
When I grow up I want to be ME

Russell Howard Brown
Ruffe

Re: Modern Arms Company Reel

Post by Russell Howard Brown »

Hello Humber67,I'm curious to know,being a nosey git,what your connection to Marco is...Russ

Rod Fisher
Silver Bream

Post by Rod Fisher »

Humber67 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:22 pmI don’t know much about the reel making this may just be badged and bought in but it’s very well made and good quality if anyone has any info I would be very interested.
Martin.
I am told that the extra screw and guide channel in the check pawl carriage assembly is a characteristic of Smith and Wall-made reels. I can't verify its accuracy.
"Keep out of sight. Trout has no eyebrows and can see up." - Forest and Stream 1904.

“A man may read books and get the best advice possible, but he will profit little by one or the other without practice.” - William Bailey

Homer Simpson
Grayling

Post by Homer Simpson »

I would have never have guessed that there would be all that fine metalwork inside a reel of that type.
It’s very nice.

Rod Fisher
Silver Bream

Post by Rod Fisher »

Homer Simpson wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:13 pm I would have never have guessed that there would be all that fine metalwork inside a reel of that type.
It’s very nice.
The brass lining (outside the check caliper) was originally only found on Reuben Heaton's 'Sun' reels, which were labelled with the patent number 13388/85 (i.e. 1885). It helps to prevent the wooden backplate from warping much better than the brass starback alone.
"Keep out of sight. Trout has no eyebrows and can see up." - Forest and Stream 1904.

“A man may read books and get the best advice possible, but he will profit little by one or the other without practice.” - William Bailey

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Hi Martin, a couple of pages from the 1933 Marco catalogue showing some of the various walnut reels they sold. There are others but they are larger sea reels.
Reading through the various descriptions, I think my guess would be No 425 The Moss.
If you right click on the picture it can be opened in another page with the option to enlarge it.

Wal.
ImageImageImageImage

Humber67
Gudgeon

Post by Humber67 »

Russell Howard Brown wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:07 pm Hello Humber67,I'm curious to know,being a nosey git,what your connection to Marco is...Russ
Hi Russell
Both my Great Uncle and Aunt worked for them in Bromley. In retirement my Uncle bought a Rod makers lathe from Taylor’s of Birmingham and set himself up repairing rods and ferrules. Sadly I never got him to make me a rod but I have the lathe and a big bundle of cane rod sections.
Martin

Humber67
Gudgeon

Post by Humber67 »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:30 pm Hi Martin, a couple of pages from the 1933 Marco catalogue showing some of the various walnut reels they sold. There are others but they are larger sea reels.
Reading through the various descriptions, I think my guess would be No 425 The Moss.
If you right click on the picture it can be opened in another page with the option to enlarge it.

Wal.
ImageImageImageImage
Thanks Wal
Loving the Catalogue. Now I need to find one of those!!!!
I think your right No 425 with optional cane handles
Martin

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

Rod Fisher wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:38 pm Image
Homer Simpson wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:13 pm I would have never have guessed that there would be all that fine metalwork inside a reel of that type.
It’s very nice.
The brass lining (outside the check caliper) was originally only found on Reuben Heaton's 'Sun' reels, which were labelled with the patent number 13388/85 (i.e. 1885). It helps to prevent the wooden backplate from warping much better than the brass starback alone.

That spun brass insert would not only give additional strength,but together with the brass line drum inner side plate, it would also allow the maker to have a much narrower clearance gap between backplate and line drum. They certainly look to be well-made reels of that type.

I see that the little golden transfer on the back is the same trademark as on “Sylcast” Perlon line, made in post-war Germany.
Can anyone tell me if there is any connection here ? Or were the line makers just using an expired registered mark?

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Rod Fisher
Silver Bream

Post by Rod Fisher »

Watermole+ wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:39 pm I see that the little golden transfer on the back is the same trademark as on “Sylcast” Perlon line, made in post-war Germany.
Can anyone tell me if there is any connection here ? Or were the line makers just using an expired registered mark?

wm+
According to Kevin Clifford’s ‘A History Of Carp Fishing’ Sylcast was originally distributed by Marco.

Return to “Other Reels”