A nice new pair of boots.

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
SooperClooper
Silver Bream

Re: A nice new pair of boots.

Post by SooperClooper »

I had a pair of the original Brasher Supalites and they were possibly the most comfortable boots I have worn but the Goretex membrane didn't last much more than a year due to the very flexible uppers so just wore them for work until the soles had holes in them and the leather started to split. I bought the girlfriend a pair last year and they don't seem to be as comfortable as the original version and the forefoot is a bit narrower.

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

SooperClooper wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:25 am I had a pair of the original Brasher Supalites and they were possibly the most comfortable boots I have worn but the Goretex membrane didn't last much more than a year due to the very flexible uppers so just wore them for work until the soles had holes in them and the leather started to split. I bought the girlfriend a pair last year and they don't seem to be as comfortable as the original version and the forefoot is a bit narrower.
with rising prices , the sweet manufacture make a mars bar smaller. And some branded clothing and footware sellers find cheaper production countries and cheaper materials. Short sighted in my view

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Crikey Ian, next you'll be telling us that Wagon Wheels have got smaller!

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Cat wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:34 pm Crikey Ian, next you'll be telling us that Wagon Wheels have got smaller!
No! :shocked: :shocked:
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

Got sent this in a WhatsApp group made me Chuckle

Homer Simpson
Grayling

Post by Homer Simpson »

I bought a pair of boots from go outdoors six months ago, can’t remember what they are called but they were close to the cheap end of the range. I put the box and receipt in the loft as I had heard stories about soles coming off various “brands “ that are essentially the same thing, but different price points.
I’m pleased to say that they have been fine.
I got some sealskinz socks for Christmas and the combination are a big step ( pun intended) up.
I was thinking half way through a very wet hilly ramble this morning that the combination was as comfortable as a pair of slippers.
Love the socks, kicking myself for being put off by the price until now.

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

Cat wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:34 pm Crikey Ian, next you'll be telling us that Wagon Wheels have got smaller!
just watch out if you just change the offside rear- stuff tends to fall off 😅

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

I replaced my old Scarpa boots, with Scarpa Terra 11 GTX recently and can't believe how comfortable they are straight out of the box.
I bought my wife a pair too, they are available in half sizes so you can obtain a good fit.
Goretex lined and quality oiled leather so should be waterproof.
They have a Vibram sole, the design of which provides excellent grip and easy mud removal by running under a tap.
Not cheap, but our previous Scarpers were bought twenty years ago!
Highly recommended.
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

John Milford
Grayling

Post by John Milford »

These Doc Martens were a very good pair of boots. (Robin not included. :Chuckle: ).

Proper walking boots with leather lined padded cuffs, a bellows tongue and quick-lacing hook eyelets at the top. They had the trademark DM 'bouncing soles', but with grippy 'commando' tread, rather than the usual ribbed patern.

They lasted over ten years before the Goodyear welt gave up the ghost - but only after a great deal of dog walking, fishing and general wear. If I saw the same model again I'd buy them, but I think they are now discontinued (unless anyone recognises them and knows otherwise?).

The Brashers 'Country Travellers' I've just bought may well become their replacement in due course, but I'll let their newness wear off a bit before subjecting them to bankside abuse.
A seeker of "the fell tyrant of the liquid plain".

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

ImageThe ones I’m wearing are Karrimor Cheviot which I’ve had for about 8 years, very comfortable with vibram sole and made in Italy. You can still get them from amongst others Sports Direct for about £90. I rarely wear them for fishing but at least twice a week in the winter hunting with Bassets and Beagles they do a good few miles. Our Huntsman wears a rugged trainer to try…! to keep up with his hounds.
Dave

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”