5 Years to Cure Delamination

The Sowerbutts Rods forum.
Liphook
Barbel

Re: 5 Years to Cure Delamination

Post by Liphook »

A labour of love and well rewarded in a great outcome :Hat:
As always, I will defer to the more experienced rod makers, builders and repairers here on TFF as some have been doing these jobs since before I was even born, but my own technique for inters like these is to use a flytying thread bobin, keeping the rod blank fixed in position and rotating the bobin around the rod to form the wraps. This allows me to concentrate on the fiddly faff that it is whilst knowing that all the starts and finishes will be in a neat row. With a built cane rod I can choose the flat and stick to the middle of that, with a round blank I make sure that all are staring me staight in the eye and not wandering off that imaginary line. I form each one slightly up the blank (towards the tip) from their final position, knowing that the pushing/burnishing into the final position will tighten each binding slightly. Once in position I lightly coat the 'knot' with size/CP or plain varnish (depending on what finished look you desire) and leave the tag ends long enough to form a simple granny knot that ensures there's no wandering or loosening whilst the initial coat dries. With CP you may wish to repeat the coating process, tightening if necessary by carefully manipulating the tag ends. Only once fully cured will I carefully unpick the granny knot and trim these tag ends with a razor blade.

Of course there will be other ways - one rodbuilder I know uses tiny drops of superglue to hold the threads in place, with no pull throughs at all. Others I've seen will form the inters on s suitably sized straw and slide them onto the blank. Horses for courses of course :Hat:

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

I do three wrap intermediates on most rods, I like the ‘almost not there’ look. Fly tying silk is good for intermediates. The easiest way, to me at least, is to pull about a foot of silk across my tongue, to wet it, before starting each whipping. Do the same with the pull through loop, this will then stick to blank and make it easier to pull through. When the whipping is finished, push the turns tightly against each other, using a thumb nail from each side. Pull both ends of the thread to fully tighten the whipping before trimming off using a new scalpel blade. As the silk dries, the whipping will shrink and tighten further. I do all the intermediates before varnishing.

Wamfess
Ruffe

Post by Wamfess »

Your dedication and stamina are admirable sir. Well done🤗 Also more videos Gents, if possible!

Return to “T. H. Sowerbutts & Sons Cane Rods”