Abu 505 Serial Number?

The ABU Reels forum.
Fredline
Tench

Abu 505 Serial Number?

Post by Fredline »

This Abu 505 reel appears to have never been on a rod and was a "steal" at £40. The only thing wrong with it is the bloody sellotape on the outside of the box. Why not put the tape on the inside of the box? It carries the serial number 0050602 both on the box and on the inner surface of the side plate. Jim's book, "The Abu 505 Golden Jubilee 1962-2012", states that this a 3rd model 1963 and this box was changed later in the year. Later in 1964 Abu started adding serial numbers. There isn't a 3 or a 4 in the number so what year is it?
ImageImageImage
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Re: Abu 505 Serial Number?

Post by BeechmereLake »

Fredline wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:21 pm This Abu 505 reel appears to have never been on a rod and was a "steal" at £40. The only thing wrong with it is the bloody sellotape on the outside of the box. Why not put the tape on the inside of the box? It carries the serial number 0050602 both on the box and on the inner surface of the side plate. Jim's book, "The Abu 505 Golden Jubilee 1962-2012", states that this a 3rd model 1963 and this box was changed later in the year. Later in 1964 Abu started adding serial numbers. There isn't a 3 or a 4 in the number so what year is it?
ImageImageImage
The serial number should be inside the coverplate and its my guess its a 1966 model,3rd version, the box lid does not go with the Garcia base, that lid is for the first and second version Svangsta reels with the red cowling with no steel liner fitted and the 1964 intermediate reel to 1967 when Abu changed the box color to green.

All the photos in the Golden Jubilee book were from my collection, here you can see the correct base for your lid which is the the European reel that should be with it, the Abu 505 Svangsta, the Garcia base is for the USA market and should have the red labelled Garcia 505 reel in it with an all dull black lid.
The 0602 in that serial number reads 1966 with 2 revisions of the reel :Hat:

Fredline its very possible if you put the lid in the freezer for a night or two the tape will come off without further damage to the box :Thumb:

" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

Polecat501
Dace

Post by Polecat501 »

Yep, it’s a “bitsa box” all right, European top and USA butt (as they call the bottom over here!). You didn’t show us the badge, but it’s a black crinkly paint body so I’m going to guess that it’s a red Garcia ABU badge (US import version, to match the bottom of the box)?

Whatever the pedigree of the box, it’s a lovely looking little reel and I’d be happy to own it for £40. I’m still fishing with my 500 series reels, all the originals were built like tanks and will outlast me.

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

Polecat501 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:22 pm Yep, it’s a “bitsa box” all right, European top and USA butt (as they call the bottom over here!). You didn’t show us the badge, but it’s a black crinkly paint body so I’m going to guess that it’s a red Garcia ABU badge (US import version, to match the bottom of the box)?

Whatever the pedigree of the box, it’s a lovely looking little reel and I’d be happy to own it for £40. I’m still fishing with my 500 series reels, all the originals were built like tanks and will outlast me.
Hi Polecat501 The reel was mint but a European reel with blue Svangsta badge, the box has been ruined and no attempt to freeze it off is working, yes I bought it, to be honest for what I paid for it the reel and base of box is worth that and one day a lid and red Garcia decal will come along to make it perfect :Hat:
" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

Return to “ABU Reels”