The Ups and Downs of a Municipal Boating Pool. Part 3

This forum belongs to other pools and lakes.
Catfish.017
Eel

The Ups and Downs of a Municipal Boating Pool. Part 3

Post by Catfish.017 »

Through the Eighties I didn't fish the Pool much; in fact I didn't Coarse Fish much at all. I had been drawn inexorably to the "Briny" with the Bass fishing as steady as ever and the Codding climbing slowly but steadily to its peak at the end of the decade. During this period the Pool continued to evolve in terms of its fish stocks; Bream came from somewhere and a few small Carp too. The Roach became even more numerous and smaller making the match anglers happy. In fact the Club began using it for some of their competitions, particularly the ever popular mid week Summer evening league. I did fish a few of those but in truth I was "off the pace" and only swelled the wallets of my pals who had kept the faith as it were!
It must have been around the early Nineties when I gradually rediscovered my love of the Ponds and it was the Boating Lake I turned to first. It couldn't have been a more opportune time too as, whereas Brynmill was in decline, ravaged by Cormorants, the Boating Lake I found was probably at its all round best at this time and particularly in the Winter. We were having a run of quite mild Winters back then and the fish responded enthusiastically. In addition to the Roach and Perch there were good numbers of big Skimmers, small Tench and a healthy stock of nice sized Crucians, all of which fed with gusto on those mild, wild Winter days. The pool was fed by a small stream that entered in the N/E corner. Something had altered in the intervening period so that during heavy rain (the norm for Wales!) the stream ran heavy and coloured, lifting the pool several inches and invigorating its finny inhabitants.
We had some fabulous sport for a few years and the Summer league was a sellout regularly. The Carp too had grown and were attracting some of the serious bivvy boys to the pool.
I had started night fly fishing for Sea Trout in 1991 but this didn't interfere too much with the Coarse fishing as it took place well, in the night! and of course, in Summer. 1995 however was a drought year (even in Wales!) consequently Sea Trout fishing was on the back burner until rain came in late September. I filled the Summer nights chasing the Carp at the Boating Lake; some of them were into double figures now and one hot, sultry night I caught a ten pound Common and a thirteen pound Mirror, both on legered bread paste.
The fishing remained absurdly good through to the late Nineties , then a couple of things happened to its detriment. The feeder stream I mentioned earlier had, unfortunately been a thorn in the side of those charged with maintaining the Park because particularly in Winter as well as flooding the pool it also turned the grassed area between the pool and a newly constructed play park into a quagmire. I don't know exactly what was done to remedy it but the stream never flowed the same again and the water in the pool turned very clear permanently. Secondly the pool and park had become much busier with Summer Holidaymakers. This was due in great part to the replacing of the Cafe with a large food orientated Pub, one of those chain types. A tragedy occurred on one of those busy Summers days , a Toddler drowned in the pool unnoticed an awful thing to happen and it resulted in the Council putting a low fence all around this bank of the pool too close to the water to sit the other side of it and just a little too high for fishing over easily.
In truth it was the changing of the feeder stream that caused the greater detriment as it changed the whole character of the water. It may obviously have been coincidental but all the species seemed to decline from that point in time. Some species disappeared altogether over a period of years. I still fished it fairly regularly and by the late Noughties it was quite a different water again. The clearish water encouraging lush growths of soft weeds, Milfoils and the like and the Tench seemed to thrive albeit small ones in the main. SmallRoach too and surprisingly there was a reappearance of the Rudd after many years absence? Perhaps some had been there all along? There was also a small group of Common Carp, a dozen or so fish which evaded capture in the main, but could be seen on Summer evenings basking where the lowering Sun caught the shallows along the Old Ladies Garden bank. These Carp grew to double figures and early in 2019 I was lucky enough to catch one at around ten pounds. I say I was lucky and that's because the following year they were gone without trace? A real mystery.
I fished there quite a bit in 2020 the last Summer before we moved to Staffordshire and had plenty of Tench, Rudd and Roach and happily some little Common Carp! We had often watched the bigger ones spawning before they disappeared so one year must have been successful. In the whole of that Summer I encountered only one other angler, a twenty something studying at the university a hundred yards away. So to answer your post Dave, no there is no new breed of youngsters spending long happy days on its banks as we did fifty odd years ago. Sad isn't it.Image
A photo from my diary of the lucky Carp.

Dave F
Grayling

Re: The Ups and Downs of a Municipal Boating Pool. Part 3

Post by Dave F »

Thank you for part three... I remember fishing the local park lakes in Liverpool with my dad and later on with my cousin. There were huge perch and normal sized gudgeon. Probably other species too but I never saw them. Happy times...
Oh to be at my “Happy Place” where nothing matters but the being there.

EricW
Perch

Post by EricW »

I've enjoyed this little glimpse into the past, Paul. I guess everybody has these kind of memories and its a pleasure to be allowed to share other angler's early days. :Hat:
These are the Golden Years. Don't waste them.

Here are some of our fishing films that you may enjoy
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrUkLb ... -bz8H_vr7A

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Another compelling read and with a similar ending to a few of those small boyhood waters I used to fish. I recently walked across the fields around my childhood home village to look at a pond we once fished that had contained good roach and perch… I wish I hadn’t, it laid chocked with reeds and unfished and unloved … it made me feel very sad. I lost my childhood that day…..
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Wanderer
Arctic Char

Post by Wanderer »

Enjoyed reading the Ups and downs trilogy. Things change over the years and nothing stays the same.
We are not the same people and neither are the waters that we fish.
In the new year, I hope to do some Nostalgic fishing and make myself a member of a club that have fishing rights to a fishing pond that I first fished as a boy, well over 50 years ago and havent fished for over 40 years. I hope I won't be too disappointed.......
"Not all those who Wander are Lost !"

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

A melancholy tale that has been repeated all around the UK. Kids used to be drawn to water and whatever lives within it, so why not now? I think that the Nanny State brainwashing us to keep our little darlings away from dangers has to take a share of the blame. Of course, were you to fish with a game controller it may help.

On that subject, my grandbrats were over yesterday, eager to assist in decorating the tree. Once they had looked around the loft and the trimming brought down, they drifted off to their gaming devices and with their tiny attention spans replete, they could not be enticed back.

Park lakes, village or farm ponds are often fascinating places and yours has gone through many changes but, when the fishing becomes obstructed, it can quickly demonstrate the effect of less bait going in and the fish can and often will decline.

An interesting series of articles, very enjoyable.

JAA
Crucian Carp

Post by JAA »

Nice picture there Catfish, is that a white tipped float I see?
¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯ ><(((º>
Cole aka JAA
https://crucians.org/
https://www.anotherangler.net/

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

JAA wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:40 pm Nice picture there Catfish, is that a white tipped float I see?
Yep a homemade peacock quill waggler, white tips for dark backgrounds and black tips for light sky reflecting water. The capture of the Carp was a big surprise as they very rarely came out. It was mid April and the weed though still present, had not long begun its Spring growth. I was fishing double maggot on a 14 hook to 5lb line just trying for anything that came along. For two hours nothing had! A chap walking his dog stopped to chat; not an angler but a fish keeper. He told me he had just seen a Carp swimming around the corner of the island heading my way. Minutes later the float slid away and a huge swirl resulted when I struck. I couldn't believe it! I was just recovering from a severe bout of back pain and struggled to cope with the fish , the chap had to net it for me which he did very competently.

JAA
Crucian Carp

Post by JAA »

Catfish.017 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 6:25 pm
JAA wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:40 pm Nice picture there Catfish, is that a white tipped float I see?
Yep a homemade peacock quill waggler, white tips for dark backgrounds and black tips for light sky reflecting water. The capture of the Carp was a big surprise as they very rarely came out. It was mid April and the weed though still present, had not long begun its Spring growth. I was fishing double maggot on a 14 hook to 5lb line just trying for anything that came along. For two hours nothing had! A chap walking his dog stopped to chat; not an angler but a fish keeper. He told me he had just seen a Carp swimming around the corner of the island heading my way. Minutes later the float slid away and a huge swirl resulted when I struck. I couldn't believe it! I was just recovering from a severe bout of back pain and struggled to cope with the fish , the chap had to net it for me which he did very competently.
Always feel good to catch on a 'homer'! I've got a few white tips in my various tubes for those times. :Hat:
¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯ ><(((º>
Cole aka JAA
https://crucians.org/
https://www.anotherangler.net/

Grumpy
Arctic Char

Post by Grumpy »

Thanks for the trip down memory lane Catfish.

Return to “Other Pools and Lakes”