If a Black Prince was your first reel, what was your second?

The K. P. Morritts Reels forum.
Aitch
Pike

Re: If a Black Prince was your first reel, what was your second?

Post by Aitch »

First reel was a cotton reel on a split pin whipped to the cane, second reel was a Tokoz skeleton pin
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Luga00
Brown Trout

Post by Luga00 »

First reel was indeed a Black Prince which came as part of a kit from my mother's catalogue (along with a Sealey White Wonder solid glass rod). Second reel was a Pfleuger spinning reel which actually wasn't that much of an improvement over the Intrepid. The third reel however was an ABU Cardinal 40 which was a complete game-changer for me.
Last edited by Luga00 on Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

I started with a tiny black plastic ELO drum reel. This was replaced by several second hand Tru spins. These were usually gift horses from friends of various parents or even cleverly off loaded by unkind passing strangers . They were rubbish,none lasted long. I cannot understand the affection some hold for them.
My brother had the dreaded Prince of Darkness but luckily he was more into football than fishing so didn't use it enough to enjoy the thrill of having the line cut by the bail arm groove just when he'd hooked a decent fish.
The first new reel l remember being given was a black Monarch 66 and l definitely felt better equipped , for a while . A failing bail-arm spring and line groove still killed it pretty quickly .
Dad then invested in two new Intrepid Diplomats; one for him,one for me . Hateful devices. Terrible for line going round the body and behind the spool . Also not only did the line rollers on the bail -arm seem to be made of cheese ,they didn't even roll .In fact we cut through so many that in the end the man in our tackle shop gave us a little bag of free rollers. They didn't last long. I hated the Diplomat! No wonder l've always liked centrepins.
First decent fixed spool to enter my hands was a Mitchell 324,bought new with my very first pay packet.
Still have it and it works perfectly 48 years later.
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

My first fixed spool reel was a Black Prince followed by an ABU Cardinal 40.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Return to “K. P. Morritts Reels”