"Boyce" Ferrule Tool

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Mike Crompton
Minnow

"Boyce" Ferrule Tool

Post by Mike Crompton »

Ferrule Tool 1.JPG
Hi, Everyone.
Saw a "Boyce" Ferrule Tool for sale and could not make up my mind as to wether it was a Snooker Cue Ferrule Tool or for Fishing Rod repairs. It bothered me so i purchased it. It is in very good condition, made from brass and steel with signs of usage. Has anybody seen or used similar? Is it for removal or replacing a ferrule or for some other task? It is adjustable and the turning posts suggest it will act as clamp.
Would be grateful for any suggestions as to its purpose.
Many thanks.
Mike crompton.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Crucian
Eel

Re: "Boyce" Ferrule Tool

Post by Crucian »

An interesting tool, I think it may be for swaging/crimping ferrules onto vintage fuel/oil pipes. I could be wrong of course, and usually am…

Mike Crompton
Minnow

Post by Mike Crompton »

Hi, Crucian,
I think you could be correct. Swaging is where tube or pipes need to be squeezed or changed shape etc for a particular shape. The Tommy bars suggest that it will achieve a significant amount of pressure.
Another contribution to my tool box. I am sure it will “come in” and be useful for something!
Many thanks.
Mike

EricW
Perch

Post by EricW »

I was watching that but couldn't see how it would be of use on a fishing rod so I didn't bid in the end. I think Crucian's suggestion is a good one. :Hat:
These are the Golden Years. Don't waste them.

Here are some of our fishing films that you may enjoy
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrUkLb ... -bz8H_vr7A

Mike Crompton
Minnow

Post by Mike Crompton »

Hi, EricW,
I think a bit of creative thinking might eventually suggest a use.
Until then it can lay quietly in my tool box.
Mike.

Tony.J.Newman
Silver Bream

Post by Tony.J.Newman »

Google shows some references to it being a 1930’s petrol pipe crimping tool, possibly for motor bikes.

EricW
Perch

Post by EricW »

Mike Crompton wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:56 pm Hi, EricW,
I think a bit of creative thinking might eventually suggest a use.
Until then it can lay quietly in my tool box.
Mike.
As it happens, I am currently restoring a rod with an oval ferrule and it looked to me like it might serve to reshape it but of course it would need to be the correct diameter. In the end, that's what makes me think it is for crimping something of a standard size as suggested. If you do find a use I'd be interested to hear what it is. :Hat:
These are the Golden Years. Don't waste them.

Here are some of our fishing films that you may enjoy
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrUkLb ... -bz8H_vr7A

Mike Crompton
Minnow

Post by Mike Crompton »

Hi, Eric.
Interesting.
Have a few misshapen ferrules and will see if the tool can correct the diameter. It must be of a correct size. I will have to protect the jaws of the tool to avoid damage. The problem is that ferrules have a suction characteristic. If it is not a perfect reshape I think I would lose the suction aspect. Give me a couple of days and will post a reply.
Mike

Bayleaf
Gudgeon

Post by Bayleaf »

It is certainly a tool for swaging fuel and oil line ferrules, probably 1930s. Had one when I rode vintage bikes.

Mike Crompton
Minnow

Post by Mike Crompton »

Hi,
Just had an interesting session with the tool and some old misshapen ferrules.
Firstly the edges of the two clamps make marks a soon as the tension is applied. I then covered these with thin “chamie” leather. This helps but the edges do mark the ferrule. Trying to change an oval female ferrule to accept a rounded male ferrule proved difficult if not impossible. I think you would need a former inside the female on which to work to change the shape. I had more success with a female ferrule where the top was flared. I assembled the whole unit and gradually reduced the flaring. This was a reasonable success. Removing the male ferrule, which was by now tight I carefully attached the tool which gave me more grip to remove the tight piece. I suspect the range of diameters that it can accommodate is limited. The two clamps being of a different size limit the range of adjustments.
I have tried to explain my experiments and come to the conclusion that it is of limited use to the rod restorer. But it does have a use and who knows in time I might find more excuses to make use of a well made “Ferrule Tool”.
Thanks for the responses. These suggest a purpose in the vintage motor bike world.
Mike

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”