Unknown Starback.

The Nottingham Reels forum.
Mr B
Arctic Char

Unknown Starback.

Post by Mr B »

Afternoon Gents,
I just took delivery of this little reel ("Not another one my wife will say!")
Its 3 1/2 inches but with a nice little spool.. some are very wide.
I haven't polished the brass yet but after looking at the inside it looks like it hasn't had much use at all.
I gave it a little clean and a little dab of reel grease and oil and it spins fine.
There is a little chip on the spools edge but I can rub that out ... and all for £4.50!
Any idea what make it could be? There is no makers name on it.
It should be fun to use.

Mr B.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Lea Dweller
Pike

Re: Unknown Starback.

Post by Lea Dweller »

Nice reel! It looks to be a 'sheffield pattern' (shallow spool) could be from Reuben Heaton, but possibly Smith and Wall. If you post a picture of the inside, you can usually see if it is Smith and Wall from the distinctive design of the brass work! :Hat:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

That’s a lovely little reel, I bet it will be a great ‘user’, with that narrow spool.
I have a similar little gem, but why did they insist on that clunky big check button and the even clunkier brass washer behind it???

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Lea Dweller wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 3:30 pm Nice reel! It looks to be a 'sheffield pattern' (shallow spool) could be from Reuben Heaton, but possibly Smith and Wall. If you post a picture of the inside, you can usually see if it is Smith and Wall from the distinctive design of the brass work! :Hat:
The workings....
Thats not a crack in it by the way, grain in the wood.
Thanks Gents
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Smith & Wall as far as I know! The little rectangular piece with the screw in the middle is the clue! 👍
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Lea Dweller wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:57 pm Smith & Wall as far as I know! The little rectangular piece with the screw in the middle is the clue! 👍
Thats interesting, thanks for that.
I have just been looking at different threads for Smith &Wall and Ruben Heaton... very interesting and some cracking wooden reels on display too!!!

Mr B.

Return to “Nottingham Reels”