Scruffy but interesting - Allcocks Velox

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Coral Maestro
Chub

Scruffy but interesting - Allcocks Velox

Post by Coral Maestro »

I found this tired looking Allcocks Velox this morning at a Vide Grenier. Apparently, it was manufactured in Paris and is a model I haven't seen in the UK.

It reminds me of T. Harringtons' "Omnia" which has similar "Dan Dare/Flash Gordon" spaceship looks.
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Duckett
Tench

Re: Scruffy but interesting - Allcocks Velox

Post by Duckett »

Not seen any of those before. Judging by the half bail alone it would appear to pre-date the Harrington La Omnia by some time.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

From what I've read there was a half bail version of the "Le Omnia". I think that reel dates from the 60's. The Velox was made in the 50's.
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

This site has some info about the "Le Omnia" (scroll down towards the bottom):
https://whiteaddersflyfishingmuseum.wee ... ngton.html
- Jack Hargreaves.

Rockape
Rudd

Post by Rockape »

I'm guessing the half bail 'The Omnia' was manufactured in the 50's, simply because it was the Hardy full bail patent that kept UK reels in half bail configuration until 1954 (I think?).

Interestingly, the Omnia Started off being named as 'The Omnia' then with the changeover to full bail specs, became 'Le Super Omnia' and also 'Le Omnia Super'

Here is a striped and polished half bail, plus each named model.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”