First time on the Trent

This forum belongs to the River Trent.
MaggotDrowner
Zander

Re: First time on the Trent

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Dave Burr wrote: ↑Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:31 pm
MaggotDrowner wrote: ↑Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:17 pm
Dave Burr wrote: ↑Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:51 am You would need a fair ol' Wallis cast there Jack. Reels of a different age of okay in my book :Wink:
Could only get half way with the fixed spools.

The bailiff came along and told me I was in one of the best swims. Still blanked though. :fishing2:

Not really confident with what I was doing. But hoping to find a stretch that's better suited to trotting.

Also been offered a trip with a member on here, and hoping to copy him! πŸ˜‚
Long hooklinks are often necessary to fool wary barbel Jack, but there are enough of them in there for one to make a mistake. :fish: You'll crack it in no time.
How long is long, Dave? I was at about 12 inches which seemed massive!
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

MaggotDrowner wrote: ↑Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:17 pm
Dave Burr wrote: ↑Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:51 am You would need a fair ol' Wallis cast there Jack. Reels of a different age of okay in my book :Wink:

The bailiff came along and told me I was in one of the best swims. Still blanked though. :fishing2:

Not really confident with what I was doing. But hoping to find a stretch that's better suited to trotting.

Long hooklinks are often necessary to fool wary barbel Jack, but there are enough of them in there for one to make a mistake. :fish: You'll crack it in no time.
That depends on what we are talking about Jack :Chuckle: But, up to 4' isn't uncommon. Pressured barbel detect the line coming off your lead and know there's a hook nearby so, they give your bait a wide birth. Longer hooklinks seem to trick them. It's worth bearing in mind. I often pva bag some freebies and attach my hook to the bag, it will get swept down the current and into the 'take zone'. One hint with pva, attach it to your lead or better still, put your lead in the bag otherwise, the bag partly melts and spread your freebies downstream to the next swim.

Tight ones :Thumb:

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Dave Burr wrote: ↑Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:27 pm

That depends on what we are talking about Jack :Chuckle: But, up to 4' isn't uncommon. Pressured barbel detect the line coming off your lead and know there's a hook nearby so, they give your bait a wide birth. Longer hooklinks seem to trick them. It's worth bearing in mind. I often pva bag some freebies and attach my hook to the bag, it will get swept down the current and into the 'take zone'. One hint with pva, attach it to your lead or better still, put your lead in the bag otherwise, the bag partly melts and spread your freebies downstream to the next swim.

Thanks Dave. Do you put all that long hook link in the bag?
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

MaggotDrowner wrote: ↑Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:09 am
Dave Burr wrote: ↑Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:27 pm

Thanks Dave. Do you put all that long hook link in the bag?
No, let it dangle but hook it at the bottom to avoid tangles :Hat:

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

I think I'm going to educate myself in the university of YouTube.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Homer Simpson
Grayling

Post by Homer Simpson »

I’m no expert, but I understand that currently the Trent is hard work for barbel.
Also chunks of meat are best left a few months until there’s a bit of colour and flow.

TrentFisher
Crucian Carp

Post by TrentFisher »

Welcome to the river Tent.
This part of the season is for the float rods.(for me anyway)
Find a peg you can long trot .Bait need not be an expensive affair.
I use wheat and bread.The bread can mashed or liquidised for the feed.
Raoch,dace,chub normally come my way and bream will make an appearance.
Enjoy your new adventures....Nige.

Return to β€œRiver Trent”