Car boot rod....

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
MWithell
Chub

Re: Car boot rod....

Post by MWithell »

Attach the tip ring to a spring balance (or hang weights on it) to establish the test curve. That should at least be a guide as to what line to match it with and what size fish it will handle easily.
Malcolm

Catching lob-worms is one of the greater Outdoor Sports. It is the most hilarious game in the world (John C Moore)

Northern_Nomad
Arctic Char

Post by Northern_Nomad »

I too found an old cane salmon/sea trout rod in a junk shop some years ago. It came with two tips as seemed to be the norm with them. It has a slender taper and twist lock ferrules. All the fittings and fixtures were very good quality as was the cane but it was unnamed.

I put up this thread on its conversion. I still have it in my collection and it has had occasional use for tench.

http://www.traditionalfisherman.com/vie ... hp?t=11812

This was prior the the ‘Great Photobucket Fiasco’ but the images can just be made out.

It maybe worth checking the end of a section if it is an open male ferrule for a steel wire core as a lot of these type of rods did have a thin flexible steel rod through them 👍
"We knelt side by side looking at it. I knew it was big, and suddenly it dawned on me it was more than that. It was tremendous!" - Richard Walker

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

I have eventually got round to starting the refurb on what we think was a 1930s salmon/sea trout rod.i stripped the rod down several month ago but it has just been stood in the shed waiting for some care and attention, which it is finally receiving. The ferrule on the butt section was loose so this has been sorted, also the end cap was loose, but now isnt.
I think i am going to use one of the tip sections to make a 12ft float rod and shorten the other tip about a foot and make it a swing tip/quiver tip rod also.
I have started the whipping but dont yet have the guides for the rod. Im currently undecided as to which guides to use, low or highbells. I will be making a 6inch removable handle extension once the rod is finished as the handle is too short for me.
Photos to follow.

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Heres where i am up to.
20230724_143320_compress70.jpg
20230724_143229_compress73.jpg
20230724_143311_compress67.jpg
20230724_143244_compress94.jpg
20230724_143214_compress90.jpg
Thanks
BB
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

There has been a big change of my mind in what the old salmon rod is going to end up as, thanks to Northern Nomad's link on this thread. I missed it first time around but thought the end result was more what I would prefer, and i would probably use the rod more than I would if I carried on with my original ideas.
Instead of a screw in handle extension the rod now supports a 26inch handle all of its own, instead of the 16inch handle that it was born with. I have not gone the MklV winding check way that Nomad used as I wanted to keep all the original hardware on the rod as I like the brass look. I think I will make the two tip sections exactly the same so there is a spare in case of disaster and am also thinking of shortening them as they seem rather fine at the tip, but am not sure if this is a good idea.
For some reason I feel that low bell guides will look better on the old rod so will have a look at guidesnblanks.

Thanks
BB

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”