Using a pin?

This forum is for discussing Other Traditional Float Fishing Techniques.
Cat
Chub

Using a pin?

Post by Cat »

Afternoon All, Just wondering if anyone else has problems with their hand aching when using a pin? I'm reasonably new to centrepin use - using a Speedia wide drum (reasonably comfortably ish), and G&Y ARS, Seajecta, Gypsy d'or (not so comfortable). When using the G&Y's I seem to struggle to get a comfortable grip on cork and reel. Any suggestions appreciated. Regards Cat

Homer Simpson
Grayling

Re: Using a pin?

Post by Homer Simpson »

Maybe you could try the reel in a different position.
Reels tend to counter balance your rod so you might be trying to compensate for this with your grip.

I have a rod that has weight inside the handle (hollow glass) and it balances on one finger held just in front of the reel.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I 'lay' the reel on my right hand in the palm - using my right thumb to steady the line speed and my left hand to
1 reel in either forward for still/slow water or
2 backwards if trotting faster water (sometimes with a finger) and
3 playing a fish by using my left palm and thumb to slow the fish down.
I have different pins for stillwater - 3.75in Aerial.
Trotting a chrome Leeds - 5in with finger holes.
And an Aerial Popular - 4in for carp stalking.

I try not to let the reel hang like a fixed spool - - except when reeling in!

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Thank you Gentlemen, I think my problem is in trying to get a grip on the cork akin to using a fixed spool...I suppose it's a question of getting accustomed to the feel of them and to rest / cradle /angle rather than hold in the (non) traditional manner. Hands are getting a little arthritic these days, so as well as the Speedia, i may try a smaller diameter G&Y AR Eagle i picked up. Regards Cat

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

The problem is that by using the thumb to control the pin means a not very satisfactory hold on the rod, giving hand cramps over a long period of trotting.

The best way to control the pin is the old way.....it looks cak handed but in practice is not. So here goes:

1. Place pin at least a hands width down from the top of the handle...more if you want to get a better balance.

2. If you are right handed make sure the handles are placed away from you and only used for big fish by switching hands holding the rod....fiddly at first but you adapt well after a day on the bank. Personally Fatty takes the handles off if possible to avoid annoying tangles.

3. To avoid even more chances of tangles or worse, run the line off the top. This means you wind backwards but again becomes second nature after a day fishing.

4. Place your right hand above the reel with just your pinky finger controlling the rim of the reel to control the spin rate, holding back etc

5. By having your hand above the reel, you will have a normal hold of the handle and no cramping.

6. If you can watch Bernard Venables fishing for roach on a video series he made in the sixties. It works well.

Hope this helps ?

As ever,....

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Alternatively, because cane rods can be a tad heavy , use two hands to hold the rod, with the bottom of the butt on one's left hand side . Hold the rod with the right hand just above the reel, and with the left down the handle where comfortable several inches below the reel. Control the reel with the right hand thumb. Works a treat when trotting with longer cane rods on the heavy side . When you hook into a bigger fish simply swing the butt to your right to free your left hand for the net. Reverse if left handed . By sharing the load one is much less likely to get hand cramps.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Thank you both...I look forward to testing out your ideas and theories...much appreciated. Regards Cat

Return to “Other Traditional Float Fishing Techniques”