Sweetcorn

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
JimmyBobkin
Crucian Carp

Re: Sweetcorn

Post by JimmyBobkin »

Not a bait I use anymore. I don't think I ever caught one fish on it so have little faith in it from personal experience

Wanderer
Arctic Char

Post by Wanderer »

JimmyBobkin wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:12 am Not a bait I use anymore. I don't think I ever caught one fish on it so have little faith in it from personal experience
That's a strange one Jimmy. It's a bait that I have caught lots of fish on.
In my experience, Tench, in particular have a liking for it, and in one particular pond that I fished the other evening, the small Roach and Rudd were loving it !
"Not all those who Wander are Lost !"

John Milford
Grayling

Post by John Milford »

JimmyBobkin wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:12 am Not a bait I use anymore. I don't think I ever caught one fish on it so have little faith in it from personal experience
It is worth giving a go every now and then Jimmy - sweetcorn can undoubtedly be an excellent bait.

I agree that confidence in a bait plays a part though.

For decades I had no confidence in herring as a bait for pike. Never had a touch on them, while other baits were taken freely.

Then, a couple of years ago, I broke the 'hex' and caught a good pike on one.

Since then, a herring has become my favourite pike bait - and accounted for dozens of pike for me!
A seeker of "the fell tyrant of the liquid plain".

Phil Arnott
Chub

Post by Phil Arnott »

As John says it's worth giving it a try. The catch below was taken on float fished sweetcorn. A 7lb bream, a 10lb carp and three tench for a total weight of 28lb. I once fed sweetcorn into a small farm pond that I fished. I was hoping to get the small head of carp in the pond onto the bait. I dropped the bait in in the morning and when I returned later in the day I was plagued with roach after roach, they went absolutely mad for it. My garden pond fish - goldfish, golden tench, crucians and rudd also love it.

JimmyBobkin
Crucian Carp

Post by JimmyBobkin »

Wanderer wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:59 am
That's a strange one Jimmy. It's a bait that I have caught lots of fish on.
In my experience, Tench, in particular have a liking for it, and in one particular pond that I fished the other evening, the small Roach and Rudd were loving it !
Maybe I will give it another try some time. It is a cheap and handy bait to use and store.

Grumpy
Arctic Char

Post by Grumpy »

If I am after Tench or Crucians I will always have a tin of corn to go with the other baits I take.Sometimes they only want one or the other.As an example a couple of weeks ago I was after Crucian hybrids.Last season bread or pellets worked best,this time it was corn they wanted.I also had a couple of very nice Roach.I don't feed the corn heavily,just a few grains every other cast,I believe a lot of bright yellow corn on the lakebed can actually make the fish very wary.Flavouring the corn with strawberry can also work well.
Tony Miles used a Chub avoidance scheme when after Barbel,he would put a large amount of corn in some yards away from where his Barbel bait would be.The Chub homed in on the corn while the Barbel would avoid the bright coloured bed of corn.

John Milford
Grayling

Post by John Milford »

Corn will take an alternative colouring very easily. My brother did well on red dyed corn, although more out of curiosity than necessity.

One water I fished produced a palm-sized rudd a chuck on corn. It was so effective that I actually tired of catching them! (After an hour of it! :Wink: )

Screenshot_20230601-203713~2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A seeker of "the fell tyrant of the liquid plain".

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

A great bait for many species - some just love it! Some are afraid of it - although still get caught on it! But less often.

Wakou
Rudd

Post by Wakou »

I bought some cheapo corn from B&M last week, six tins, for "emergencies", to keep in the car for the odd early finish from work..
And so I got to the waterside and...
O noes! The cheap cans do not have ring-pulls, And I had no tin-opener! Luckily I had some bread, but be aware!

Phil Arnott
Chub

Post by Phil Arnott »

regarding can openers, I have quite a few of these spread about such as in my tackle box and in the car. The take up no room at all.

Excuse the link, it's the quickest way of getting an image. They are available from many sources.

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”