Bubbles but no Tench.

This forum is for discussing tench.
Catfish.017
Eel

Bubbles but no Tench.

Post by Catfish.017 »

Yesterday evening I went back to the Dawe End Canal with no great expectation of success. The weather, dominated as it has been for most of Spring, by a N/E wind; the day had been cool and gloomy. Cold nights had precluded a dawn session so my main hope was that the Tench would want to feed sometime and dusk might be their preferred option.
As I walked the half mile or so to the swim I could see that the surface gunge would still be a nuisance, drifting to and fro on the breeze. I settled in to my chosen spot using an eleven foot hollow glass float rod from Sunday's boot fair haul coupled with my Elite and six pound line. I began to get some diffident indications quite quickly then the float dived away and a good fish was hooked. It felt like a Tench briefly but then gave up and a four pound Bream came sluggishly to the net.
Well I haven't blanked anyway I thought. There followed a period of twitchy Roach bites with eventually one being hooked ans lost. When the Roach departed, a long quiet spell ensued and I began to have thoughts of baiting up another spot, thoughts I eventually dismissed reasoning that the fish should in time find the mash I had fed. Just after nine 'o' clock they did turn up, little clusters of bubbles occasionally peppering the surface and the float curtsying and dipping slightly. This went on right up to darkness when I could no longer see float or bubbles! Two lively little red worms were completely ignored along with flake, paste and a small piece of crust popped up two inches. I've been here before, frequently and the futility of the situation no longer frustrates me as it did in the past. I know it will pass and the Tench will take confidently one morning soon.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: Bubbles but no Tench.

Post by Santiago »

Sounds like they were feeding on bloodworm . I've been there myself but luckily managed to catch one.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Grumpy
Arctic Char

Post by Grumpy »

Tench fishing has been very slow for me so far this cold spring.Three trips to two different lakes,no Tench at all.I blame the NE winds putting a chill into the water.Got to blame something haven't we,never the anglers fault!

Old Wulf
Gudgeon

Post by Old Wulf »

It's so often the case; bubbles all around the baited area and yet no suggestion of a bite. Then another day not much in the way of indications fish are in the swim, but a good catch of tench is made.

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

Old Wulf wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:39 am It's so often the case; bubbles all around the baited area and yet no suggestion of a bite. Then another day not much in the way of indications fish are in the swim, but a good catch of tench is made.
Exactly so.

Return to “Tench (Tinca tinca)”