Lightcaster.

The Allcocks Rods forum.
Catfish.017
Eel

Lightcaster.

Post by Catfish.017 »

As a result of some fortunate boot fair finds, albeit most needing some repair work, I now have several split cane spinning rods. Each successive rod being shorter or lighter than the last. The penultimate purchase, a Marco Capella at seven and a half foot I found to be very sensitive and a joy to use on the canal.
Sunday's haul however contained an Allcocks Lightcaster which at just over seven foot and slimmer than the Capella felt beautiful in the hand. There was downward set in the top section but once I had ascertained the cane had not gone soft this was sorted with careful use of a heat gun. Rings checked for cracks and it was good to go.
I used it for some close range canal fishing at Alrewas yesterday; second fish a pound plus Roach and I could feel every tail thrust clearly. A couple of big "skimmers" completed the christening and I was well pleased with the feel of the rod. I had coupled it with one of my Intrepid Regents but later pondered over a more contemporary partner for the rod . My Allcocks catalogue, 1953 Coronation Year edition recommended (obviously!) the Allcocks Stanley, Silver Superb or Duco. Of these three the Duco is probably the more commonly found but I wonder about its weight? It looks like the forerunner to the Ambidex which I feel is rather heavy for its size (well engineered I concede) and would balance poorly with the rod. I don't think I want to go as agricultural as the Stanley so that leaves the Silver Superb, a reel I've never handled. Does anyone have one of these who could tell me about its weight? Alternatively I may just get one of the early Morritts Standard or Deluxe, contemporary and lightweight.

OldRod
Grayling

Re: Lightcaster.

Post by OldRod »

Hi Catfish. I am in the middle of refurbishing an Allcock's Lightcaster, and like you, I love the feel of the rod in the hand, and am looking forward to using it.
Can you please enlighten me as to what your terminal tackle was for the super roach you mention?
Thanks ia
Tight lines
Keith
At the end of the game, the pawn and the King go back into the same box........

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I have a lightcaster fitted with six medium stand off rings to use with float tackle. It is a wonderful little rod for small streams and margin pond fishing.
The perfect fixed spool reel is an Allcocks Superb but yes the Duco would be great too, especially if a larger fish is likely to be encountered.

Wal.

OldRod
Grayling

Post by OldRod »

Wal, that's exactly what I plan to use my LighCaster for - a local very small stream. Very short casting only, so my reel of choice is going to be a little old wooden pin acquires at Romsey.

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

OldRod wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 11:42 am Hi Catfish. I am in the middle of refurbishing an Allcock's Lightcaster, and like you, I love the feel of the rod in the hand, and am looking forward to using it.
Can you please enlighten me as to what your terminal tackle was for the super roach you mention?
Thanks ia
Tight lines
Keith
Keith I used float tackle yesterday, a small cork bodied porcupine quill taking around three BB shot, 5lb line and a size twelve hook with red worms and bread flake. The fish were caught a yard from the bank alongside a moored narrow boat in three foot of very coloured water.

TrentFisher
Crucian Carp

Post by TrentFisher »

Catfish.017 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 11:16 am As a result of some fortunate boot fair finds, albeit most needing some repair work, I now have several split cane spinning rods. Each successive rod being shorter or lighter than the last. The penultimate purchase, a Marco Capella at seven and a half foot I found to be very sensitive and a joy to use on the canal.
Sunday's haul however contained an Allcocks Lightcaster which at just over seven foot and slimmer than the Capella felt beautiful in the hand. There was downward set in the top section but once I had ascertained the cane had not gone soft this was sorted with careful use of a heat gun. Rings checked for cracks and it was good to go.
I used it for some close range canal fishing at Alrewas yesterday; second fish a pound plus Roach and I could feel every tail thrust clearly. A couple of big "skimmers" completed the christening and I was well pleased with the feel of the rod. I had coupled it with one of my Intrepid Regents but later pondered over a more contemporary partner for the rod . My Allcocks catalogue, 1953 Coronation Year edition recommended (obviously!) the Allcocks Stanley, Silver Superb or Duco. Of these three the Duco is probably the more commonly found but I wonder about its weight? It looks like the forerunner to the Ambidex which I feel is rather heavy for its size (well engineered I concede) and would balance poorly with the rod. I don't think I want to go as agricultural as the Stanley so that leaves the Silver Superb, a reel I've never handled. Does anyone have one of these who could tell me about its weight? Alternatively I may just get one of the early Morritts Standard or Deluxe, contemporary and lightweight.
Hi Paul,

glad to hear the Lightcaster is proving to be such a good tool and they are a pleasure to use.
The one I use - I added a 6 inch butt extension with a threaded end so it is an optional whether used or not.
I tend to use the extension.
The reel I combined with this rod is a Delmatic mk2 as the curved handle positions the reel nicely on the rod.

Carry on enjoying whatever you decide.

All the best-Nige.

OldRod
Grayling

Post by OldRod »

Catfish.017 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 2:03 pm
OldRod wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 11:42 am Hi Catfish. I am in the middle of refurbishing an Allcock's Lightcaster, and like you, I love the feel of the rod in the hand, and am looking forward to using it.
Thanks ia
Tight lines
Keith
Keith I used float tackle yesterday, a small cork bodied porcupine quill taking around three BB shot, 5lb line and a size twelve hook with red worms and bread flake. The fish were caught a yard from the bank alongside a moored narrow boat in three foot of very coloured water.
Thanks Catfish. Doesn't get a lot better than that!

Lovatt
Perch

Post by Lovatt »

I have been thnking about a light caster, got a nice Nimrod used several times for Perch and Pike.

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”