Horn Handle needed for "Slater" reel.

The Nottingham Reels forum.
Fredline
Tench

Horn Handle needed for "Slater" reel.

Post by Fredline »

This early 3.5 " Slater reel, well Stefan Dumas says it is and that is good enough for me, had a couple of problems. The Slater release had a screw broken in the hole, there is a crack and the very obvious missing handle which had a bent spindle. The crack I have left completely alone as it is not going anywhere and has now become part of the reels history. The screw was drilled out and a replacement fitted. You can spot the alien but with time it will match. Now the handle. The stems were removed, relatively easily as it happens, and the bent one straightened but alas I do not have a replacement. So I am appealing to the very benevolent group of people known collectively as TFFLand. The colour is the key issue here. Thanks in advance.
ImageImageImageImageImage
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

StefanDuma
Grayling

Re: Horn Handle needed for "Slater" reel.

Post by StefanDuma »

A long time ago I knew a guy who would make handles using bone or horn. The bone came from old dinner set handles or carving knives. The horn was cow horn, maybe someone could turn one for you.

Watermole+
Chub

Re: Horn Handle needed for "Slater" reel.

Post by Watermole+ »

Fredline wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 4:51 pm This early 3.5 " Slater reel.....
.... Now the handle. The stems were removed, relatively easily as it happens, and the bent one straightened but alas I do not have a replacement. So I am appealing to the very benevolent group of people known collectively as TFFLand. The colour is the key issue here. Thanks in advance.
You know who and where to send it John...

:Wink:

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Return to “Nottingham Reels”