Bygone Times Re-visited

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Stour Otter
Grayling

Re: Bygone Times Re-visited

Post by Stour Otter »

Editorial from: FISHING - The Magazine For The Modern Angler, No. 32. Friday, September 27, 1963. Price: One Shilling.

Why be obsessed with small hooks?
KEN SEAMAN tells how he has caught good roach on really big baits

WHEN I have described how I have caught roach on hooks as large as No.1, I have always aroused some scepticism, and in some cases outright disbelief.
I have not advocated the use of these hooks a normal practice for the roach angler; but the fact remains that I have caught many roach on large hooks, and shall probably continue to catch them at those times and in those waters when and where I believe big hooks will be advantageous.
I caught two roach recently from a water which hundreds of anglers fish with fine tackle every season. They weighed 1lb 2oz and 1lb 4oz. Both took large pieces of crust fished on a No.1 hook. On the same day I caught a large dace with the same tackle and bait.
This doesn't really prove anything; but it does indicate that roach will take much bigger baits than is generally accepted.
Small roach my often nibble at a large bait until it is reduced to fragments. So, too, will the larger fish when the water is clear. The big fish are not always so finicky, however, and will often take the bait wholeheartedly, just as these two did, provided the tackle is made up so that they do not become scared.
To me the obsession with small hooks and small baits is not realistic. There are times when small hooks are needed, but I can see no reason why they should be regarded as essential. Apart from the roach, I have caught on No.1 hooks, I have taken many on hooks only a few sizes smaller. Big roach often want something substantial. They are not going to be satisfied with small baits all the time.
On one occasion recently I returned to a spot in a still-water where I had fished continuously for several outings and caught a large bag of good roach in a manner that some would think unusual. It was a warm day with sou'-wester blowing steadily in-shore. No other anglers were on that side of the fishery, although some were crouched under the shelter of the opposite bank, out of the wind.
I used the same tactics of float legering that had helped me to catch many good fish from this swim. The bait was cheese on a No.10 hook, but before it had time to settle on the bottom the float moved sideways and on striking I felt a good fish. I failed to land it, however, because the hook pulled out.
The next cast brought another bite, this time when the bait could have reached a depth of only about 6ft, I caught that fish and found the hook had been almost swallowed -- proof enough that the bait was being accepted confidently.
With this evidence of a free-feeding roach shoal so obvious, I decided to change tackle, and I switched to a weightless line and a No.4 hook, using a small porcupine quill float that the cheese alone would cock, because it seemed that the roach were not waiting for the bait to reach the bottom.
There was nothing delicate about these roach. They took the cheese in one gulp, as it was descending, and the bites were registered by the float moving off before it had cocked. That shoal of good roach stayed with me for almost an hour and I had 32 fish before the shoal moved off.
The size of the catch was not important to me at that time. What did interest me was that the confident way in which the roach accepted the bait, and the size of the bait they were prepared to tackle.
Had I fished with a small hook, I would still have caught fish, but probably not so many -- and I certainly would not have confirmed what I already suspected; that roach will accept really large baits on large hooks.
Chub are "naturals" for a big hook. Their greedy way of biting and the size of their mouth is all the evidence any angler should need to convince him that these fish are not usually put off by a large bait on a large hook. Not long ago I caught two chub on pigeon-egg-sized pieces of cheese paste. They weighed only about 1/2lb each and spoiled my chances of catching the big one I wanted, but again it was demonstrated how foolish it is to persist with the idea that only small hooks will give the angler the maximum chance under all conditions.
It two such small fish could take such large baits, what size of bait could a really big chub take? Well, I've caught the big fish on orange-sized pieces of flake, lumps of cheese the size of a bantam's egg, slugs and whole frogs, to mention a few. There's not much point in impaling such baits on a No.16 is there?
In fact I think the idea that small hooks are absolutely indispensable has the same origin as the idea that maggots are unbeatable. Both ideas are wrong. Both can be disproved by anyone who has the wit, patience and will to prove them wrong.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The good angler is not the one with expensive equipment. Common sense, observation and trying to realize
what is happening above and below water will catch fish no matter what price equipment you fish with.
L.A. Parker - This Fishing 1948

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

I must admit I never use a hook size smaller than 16 (shop bought ready tied) In the past I have seen match anglers land large fish on tiny hooks, but I am happy to generally use bigger hooks and bigger baits. Many years ago, I had an old caravan on the Great Ouse at Littleport. While fishing for roach, if hemp or maggots would not work, a large piece of flake often would! :Ok:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Stour Otter
Grayling

Post by Stour Otter »

Editorial from ANGLING, Written by anglers for anglers - August 1977 Price: 35p
The origins of "Stret-pegging"
by Lewis A. Harris

ALMOST ALL THE DESCRIPTIONS OF stret-pegging, by any author, however famous, have been wrong. The nearest to the truth was Colin Gamble in his book Freshwater Fishing.
Before the beginning of the century the inhabitants of Kent were divided by the Medway into two factions. Those to the north were the Men o' Kent, and the other bunch were the Kentish Men; and never the twain did meet, in agreement, except that both grew hops and both fished the Medway. From opposite banks, of course!
Each spoke their own dialects, which were in many respects similar and in matters of industrial idiom were almost exact. The word "strart" meant stretch and the word "payg" meant stop, both derived from the calls of the riggers when the hopfields were being prepared for a new crop. Those who know a hopfield when they see one will be aware that the crop grows by climbing a complicated but orderly rigging of poles, wires and twine erected specifically for the purpose. During this process the poles were driven and when they were deep enough the man at ground end would call "payg", to his mate, who was doing the driving. When the wires were being put on the poles, to form the overhead network which carries the lines up which the vines will grow, two men would loosely fit up the wires and when each had reached the end of the same row one would call "strart". whereupon his mate at the other end would tension the wire and fix it. He would then call "payg" indicating that the wire was stopped.
So it was that "Strart paygn" meant stretching and stopping. It was most natural that they should apply the jargon of their trade to a fishing technique, which they practised on the Medway. The method of fishing the bumpy swims, caused by the Kentish ragstone, lying about the bottom, half covered with the brown silt so typical of the hopfields earth, was given the name "strart paygn" which, when Londoners invaded the Kentish rivers, became "stret-pegging". Some clot from Lincolnshire learnt it and, when he returned to the land of the poachers, varied it a little and told his thieving mates it was "tight corking". The Londoners, who fished both banks of the Kent rivers, without so much of as a by-your-leave, when they were supposed to be picking hops, had their own variation and called it "laying-on".
The pure method was always kept intact by the Men o' Kent and the Kentish Men. The Londoners did it with a roach pole, and this is still the best instrument for the job. I learnt it on the spot from the Kentish gipsies, who also kept the method pure, and poached both banks of the rivers and everything else in sight. They used a 15-18 foot branch from the oak or ash trees, straightened in the fire. The effect of this firing was to eliminate most of the moisture from the wood, halve its weight and at the same time contribute an astonishing capable resilience. No reel. Just a length of strong cotton thread tied to the tip and connected to a 10 foot cast of horse hair, or silkworm gut if they could steal it, the whole length being roughly the same as the length of the "bender" as the rod was called.
The first thing to be done was to discover the deepest place in a swim about 10 yards long. We would now do it with a plummet every foot or so along the swim. They did it with their treasured folding lead. This depth, plus 12 inches, was then set between the float and hook. The weight was set six inches from the hook. The bait, whatever it was, applied to a hook size suitable to its character was delicately cast upstream as far out as the rod and line would allow. The weight was allowed to settle and the line was held only as tight as was necessary to keep the float just as the surface. Groundbaiting and feeding was by the usual method of a little over the float at every cast or move. No bite on the first cast, the lead allowed to rest for five minutes, and the weight was gently lifted and the float allowed to pull it downstream a foot or so where it was again allowed to lie, with the float once again held at the surface. The whole process was one of stretching and stopping, the weight falling into all the deeper places near the bumps, where the fish were known to hang on the fin and feed. Now do you see ...'stretting and pegging'? Always intermittently moving downstream, stretching and stopping until the terminal tackle was at the end of its tether and too near the bank. Then upstream again for a new run down.
If one spot offered continuous bites it was persistently worked until the bites stopped, then it was stretch and stop going down again. There appears to be no other known successful way of fishing the bumpy swims which most anglers avoided. The old exponents called the cast their "wetting line".
Stret-pegging can, of course, be done with our new-fangled poles and match rods, fixed-spool reels, nylon line, dumpy floats and scientifically constructed hooks. The rod must never be out of the hand, except for unhooking, rebaiting, boozing, noshing, or a trip around the bushes. Unless in a raging flood. Hopeless in a force five downstream gale. Stupid from a high bank, and pointless in a swim deeper then eight feet. Smashing in an eddy not far out. And in a one mile an hour stream with not enough weed in it to impede the intermittent movement. Find this swim in any river -- and I have found at least one in the hundred-plus rivers I have fished -- and you have an active, interesting and rewarding day's fishing.
Provided the fish co-operate.
The good angler is not the one with expensive equipment. Common sense, observation and trying to realize
what is happening above and below water will catch fish no matter what price equipment you fish with.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

That's a beauty of an article StourOtter! Doubt that would get past any editor in today's easily offended society :Sun:

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

What a great find! I always thought it was a strange expression.

Stour Otter
Grayling

Post by Stour Otter »

Editorial from ANGLING, Written by anglers for anglers - February 1956. Price: 1/6p

The Bothersome Barbel"
by F. S. Martin

MY first barbel was really the sixteen-ounce fish I caught on a juicy fat leather-jacket in a private weir on the Thames at Sutton Courtenay, near Abingdon. The second weighed four pounds, being hooked a short while after the first on the same evening. I like to think of this second fish as my first barbel; after all, the first was only a barbelette. True, the was no great shakes as barbel go, but as a first fish it nearly caused the last of me.  
Having saved by fattest lob until last, big worms being scarce in dry weather, it was dusk when I finally impaled it and cast my ledger into the turmoil under the weir. In order to keep the bait rolling in the fast water I was fishing from the bank level with the weir itself, casting parallel to the fall. Consequently when the meaningful tug came, only a few seconds after the bait hit the bottom, I had to scramble down the weir flank onto the shelving concrete banks below in order to play the fish on its own level. That fish justified its pseudonym of "poor man's salmon" the way it fought in the fast eddying pool. I couldn't see where it was either, and four pound Black Spider line is no direction indicator in the dark.
However, it finally tired and I got my first glimpse of it as it turned and gleamed on the surface a few feet out from the bank. Crouching on my hunches on the edge of the concrete bank, long handled net stretched out in one hand, I steered the fish in. It was a long stretch with the net -- too long!   As I lifted net and fish, the extra weight at the end upset my equilibrium and with a crash that shook me to the core, I found myself flat on my back on the sloping concrete with no rod, no net and no fish. Worse, I found I was slowly sliding down the smooth slippery concrete face into the weir pool -- not a welcome prospect in the dark, fully clothed and gum-booted. I saw the net on the left, half in the water. Grabbing it I tried to reach the river bottom with it to stop myself sliding further. Shocked, I found the water too deep. On the right, the rod was in the water, butt and reel poking out. I flung it out on to the bank behind me, sliding further into the water in the process. My boots filled and I pushed the useless net out of the way. Fully spreadeagling myself on my back, I halted the downward slide into the depths, and very slowly was able to edge myself backwards. Eventually sitting up at the top, I picked up the rod. Yards of fine black threadline seemed untangled round the reel, but the other end was still in the water, although slack. Dare I hope? I did, and after some frantic moments unraveling the mess, reeled in and contacted the fish. It had gone straight to the bottom near the bank and remained there. This time I led it down stream a few yards and netted it on a much safer piece of bank.
I found afterwards that I was suffering from an elbow cracked on the concrete. But a first barbel is worth it!

Stour Otter
Grayling

Post by Stour Otter »

Editorial from ANGLING, Ways To Better Fishing - January 1956. Price: 1/6p

The Capricious Grayling
by Bill Davies

WHEN game birds come into season, and when the countryside is aglow with hops, apples and nuts, grayling fishing begins in earnest. Having spawned about May, and having recuperated during the ensuing months, by autumn the grayling is ready to test the skill of the angler. By the end of October the grayling has donned her seasonable costume with hues of mingled purple, reddish orange, brilliant white, violet, copper, blue, gold fringe and that general appearance of grey whence she derives one of her names -- umber.
The grayling is a most convenient and obliging fish -- the fly-fisher's stop gap, coming into season as the trout go out and contrariwise. Broadly speaking she stoops to conquer (and to be conquered) from Michaelmas to Chandlemas. She is a fish of far less frequent occurrence than the trout. But when met with, as is generally the case, in the same stream, she adds much to the attraction of that water, as she is in the best of season when trout are worthless.
Unlike trout, grayling do not poise themselves near the surface of the water. They lie deep, and come upwards to seize the lure, after which they plunge downwards, aided by their abnormally large and powerful dorsal fin.
The haunts of the grayling vary with the season, as also with the temperature of atmosphere and water. In the summer you will often find them feeding in cool pools and at the tails of fast water; but in the autumn they resort chiefly to the intervening shallows, loving especially the placid depths, whence the dry-fly artist can seduce them in dead still water.
Grayling will often examine the angler's fly in a leisurely manner. The largest fish take the fly in a most unostentatious way; so it is essential to give a slight feeling motion of the wrist at the least possible indication of a touch. When your quarry is hooked, play her delicately yet resolutely (for she is tender-mouthed, and will often break away), and bring to the net as quietly and quickly as may be.
Looking through my diary of last season I find that most of my forty-eight graylings were taken on the following flies: Black Spider, Red Tag, Coch-y-bondhu and small March Brown; all the spider dressed, and on a No.16 round bend hooks.
After a winter storm a brace or two can be lured with float tackle and a small red worm, with the bait run down from the stream into the pool. The worm need not be longer than 1.5 inches. A period of sunshine in November is a good time to try flies, and here again my diary reveals that the Black Spider was the most killing pattern. It would be difficult to find a more sombre-hued fly than the Black Spider, seeing that it has a black hackle and black ostrich-herl body.
The usual Black Spider body of herl and fine silver twist wire rarely finds favour with the winter grayling, yet at the beginning of autumn it is a very good combination and has accounted for some really good fish in various parts of the country. If the grayling is not interested in flies or worms, the wide-awake angler still has an artificial called a grass-hopper, for it in no way resembles the insect after which it is named. They can be purchased at most tackle shops, but the construction is so simple that it is far better to make your own.
Wrap some fine lead wire round the shank of a No.12 hook -- a foundation to give it weight to sink -- and then on top wind some green-coloured silk (floss) or wool, or better still some green peacock herl. Thus is produced what the grayling may assume to be a grub. However, in all the years I have been fishing no grub that in any way resembles it has come my way for observation!
Fish the grasshopper with a sink-and-draw motion, keeping close to the river bed. Sometimes it will be found that a gentle put on the hook of this artificial will prove attractive. Once the fish have been located take your time, as in late summer especially grayling move around in shoals, and it is possible by careful fishing to capture two or three before moving on.

Stour Otter
Grayling

Post by Stour Otter »

Editorial from ANGLING, Written by anglers for anglers - May 1955. Price: One and Sixpence

The Fighting Tench
by William J. Howes

EARLY in the coarse-fishing season several species of fish are not worthy of the angler's attention. The best sport is obtained by fishing for tench, carp, and even chub, of which tench, due to their wide distribution, will be the popular quarry.
Tench are essentially fish of the summer, and the beginning of the new season is the ideal time for their pursuit. They show a marked preference for the still waters of lakes, meres, gravel pits and weedy ponds, and live and thrive even in semi-stagnant water, though they are found in some canals and slow-flowing rivers.
It always pays to groundbait a swim several days in advance with choice samples of hook-bait, and it is an advantage to groundbait lightly while actually fishing. It will often pay dividends to clear a new swim by dragging out the weeds, or raking the bottom. Strange though it may seem, this operation does not seem to alarm the tench -- in fact it has been proven a definite attraction, for fish have often been hooked within minutes of raking. Nevertheless, while tench appear to be attracted by the disturbance of dragging, they are normally sensitive to vibration, and will take alarm at any commotion on the bank.
The float need be the smallest possible, and a goose - or porcupine-quill using not more than one or two shots on the cast is all that is necessary when fishing in still waters. By dispensing wish split-shot and allowing the bait to sink slowly and naturally you will sometimes catch tench before it has reached the bottom!
Most tench anglers favour the light float-ledger, "laying-on" with a small bored shot, with a tiny split-shot pinched on about 12 inches from the hook to stop the weight from running down the line to the bait. The float needs to be adjusted so that it rides in a half-cocked position when the weight is lying on the bottom -- a sensitive method which gives instant warning when the bait is touched.
Tench are not always bold biters, and one will sometimes nibble and play with the bait for several minutes. This refusal to take the bait is indicated by the float quivering and dipping, and it will often lie flat on the surface as it does when a bream bites. The angler's patience will be finally rewarded when the float slides down and away. A firm strike, and the instant the fish feels the hook it will make stubbornly for the security of the weeds, and will try to bore deep into the roots. Prompt, skillful action should result in landing a grand sporting fish.
Hook-baits for tench are many, but the recommended baits are redworm, brandlings, lobworms, gentles, bread crust and paste -- of all baits the most popular is the tail of a well-scoured lob. As the bottom of a typical tench pond is muddy a lure of balanced paste and crust may prove ideal, which should be used without any weight on the line. This kind of bait has been used with great success for carp. The choice of hook will depend mainly upon the size and type of bait, and useful sizes are a No.10 for crust and gentles, and No.8 for worm and paste. If the tench are expected to be of a high average weight, with the likelihood of a specimen being hooked, then a No.6 should be used. But whatever the size of hook chosen, it must be needle-sharp to obtain a firm hold on the tench's leathery mouth.
Owing to the prolific weed growth of most tench waters these strong sporting fish are difficult to land. It becomes a matter of stopping that first terrific rush for cover; the choice of hook depends upon strength and holding power of the line, which should be about 5lb. breaking strain.
Big tench are not commonly caught due to their uncertain feeding habits. In fact, the angler can fish for them for days without getting even a bite, but let him be at the waterside when they are on the feed, and his tackle will hardly have time to settle after the cast before the float will start to dip. Notable catches of tench come unexpectedly, for although the average tench may weigh about 2lb. many waters contain 4-5 pounders, so a specimen tench of 6lb or more is always a possibility.

Stour Otter
Grayling

Post by Stour Otter »

Editorial from ANGLING, Written by anglers for anglers - November 1955. Price: One and Sixpence

Throop ... A Well-Stocked Fishery
by William J. Howes

THE Dorset Stour rises in the area about Stourton, and is soon joined by its tributaries Lyddon and Cale, when it becomes a sizeable river. Its waters flow through some fine scenery as it travels swiftly across the county, passing through Blandford and that other splendid angling centre, Wimborne Minster. This delightful river continues its journey across the fields and pleasant countryside of Dorset, eventually reaching the weir at Throop, over which it tumbles on the last lap of its course to the sea, which it meets at Wick Ferry, Christchurch. This grand river is not, however, a chalk stream its near neighbour the Avon, though it is alike in character, and is generally shallow and wonderfully clear. Like the Avon, it has a prolific weed growth that harbours many water insects upon which the fish feed and grow large.
Many splendid fish inhabit the weir pool at Throop, for it is of great depth -- in fact, in the deepest part it is approximately 30 feet, and here, as one might well imagine, there live some excellent chub and many big barbel. For any real success this deep hole will, of course, need to be fished by the ledger, which can either be rolled along the bottom or held firmly in any desired place.
Almost all of the usual course-fish baits will take fish, while the ground-bait, when you are fishing bottom, will need to be stiffly mixed. Clay may be added to the ground-bait, and even a stone or two may be inserted into a ball of the mixture to take it quickly to the bottom, because the strong flow of the weir water will rapidly disintegrate it.
Throughout its whole length the Stour is noted for its magnificent chub, of which Throop Fisheries holds a good share; in fact, some of the local anglers believe that there are chub of such splendid proportions here they will put the present record to shame, if they are ever landed. A number of specimens from 4.5lb to 6lb., have been caught this season, and this may be taken as a fair indication of sport to come. Roach fishing on this stretch of the river is first-class, and specimens up to 3lb have been taken this season, many of them weighing around 13/4-lb. mark. So it seems that the roach angler might well get his 2-pounder on this water.
In the past few seasons there have been specimen barbel over 10lb. taken on this fishery. A salmon angler foul-hooked and landed one monster barbel recently which weighed 14lb 12oz. -- 6oz above the present British rod caught record for the species. It may interest the reader to know that a little further downstream from this fishery, at Ifford Bridge, the barbel were first introduced to the river. Some of them however, worked their way into the Avon, while most of the remainder travelled upstream to the suitable reaches of the Throop Fisheries water, where the conditions suited them admirably, for they thrived and have since become renowned.
What seems remarkable is the variety of species in this fishery, for it holds a good head of pike, perch, dace, grayling and brown trout, as well as having its own run of salmon and sea trout. During the past two or three seasons a large number of pike have been removed, for it is a rule on this water that all pike caught must be killed. In consequence of this the stock of brown trout has increased considerably -- so much so that the Throop Fisheries may now be reckoned a fairly good trout water. In fact, anglers casting a fly on suitable stretches are almost certain to take a trout, for which a Greenwell's Glory, Teal and Green or Butcher, fished wet and downstream, should prove successful.
Anglers are advised to take great care if they intend to wade, because there are many deep holes, some of which are extremely deep; only a matter of yards downstream from the weir pool is a hole about 27ft. Furthermore, there are other deep pools which, although good for fishing, will not prove so good to the angler who steps into them with thigh waders on.
The Avon and Dorset River Board responsible for the river levy a charge for rod licences, and a separate licence is required for course fish, salmon and trout. Permits to fish this water are obtained from the Head Bailiff, and must be obtained before commencing to fish, or rods may be confiscated. Visiting clubs should make a prior booking, and club secretaries will be well advised to book their outings as early as possible to avoid disappointment, for there are many angling clubs who fish this water regularly. The Head Bailiff of the Throop Fisheries, Mr. R. Olley, is well qualified to advise the angler on the styles and methods best suited for this river, for he is a skilled angler and has a 3lb 5oz. roach to his credit which he caught on the River Ant, in Norfolk.
There is another good stretch of the river at Stour Way, which holds some splendid chub, barbel and roach. This is still Throop Fisheries' water, and permission my either be obtained from the Head Bailiff, or from the site owner. The season is from June 16 to February 1, and the charge is 7s. per day (half-day, 3s 6d.), including brown trout, from April 1 to September 30 inclusive. A ticket for a week's fishing costs 30s., and £2 will cover the angler for a fortnight. If we consider for one moment the splendid angling available on this 5.5-mile length of the Stour, then we must surely admit that the charges are most reasonable, especially when we note that the 7s. day ticket not only includes all coarse fish but brown trout as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Stour Otter
Grayling

Post by Stour Otter »

Editorial from ANGLING, Written by anglers for anglers - April 1956. Price: 1/6d

Chub in tricky waters
by Anthony Shepherdson

THERE must be as many ways of luring the chub to his doom as there are baits that will take him, and the list of these is legion. You may fly-fish with big buzzy flies, you may ledger, with or without float, with a variety of baits, or you may float fish under your rod tip, or thirty yards below you in the swift stream of the Avon. All or nearly all of these methods presuppose that you are some little distance from your quarry, and with "the most fearful of fishes" you may have reason to bless the distance between the hunter and the hunted!
Recently a friend and I enjoyed a most interesting and instructive day after chub on the Bedfordshire Ouse.
This was not the Ouse beloved by the bream fisherman -- wide, slow, muddy and deep. We were high up near the source, and this was a different river indeed. If ever a water could be termed "natural", then this was it. It was narrow, nowhere more than about fifteen feet wide, running fast over a clean gravel bottom, heavily treed, and in many places almost solid with great beds of Norfolk reed, reed mace and dense rushes. A coarse fishing club, whose main interest was match fishing, had been invited to lease the water for a nominal sum some time previous to our visit but had, almost with derision, turned it down as "absolutely unfishable and a sheer waste of time". Certainly it was unfishable -- but only by the usual methods. My friend and I had come to catch chub and catch them we did. This was the way of it...
First, the tackle. This was no place for the usual coarse fishing gear -- 2.5lb line, two shot quill, small hook, tip-actioned rod, etc. We chose rods capable of holding and subduing fish of 3lb and upwards in small runs between the reed beds, often no bigger than a bath tub -- powerful "Avon"-type rods suitable for large tench and small to medium carp, with 6lb lines to match. No float was used, and a large hook, size No.4, was tied directly to the end of the monofil with a reliable knot. Occasionally, to fish a more streamy run than usual, one shot was nipped on a few inches from the hook, but most of the time no lead at all was necessary. Gear was thus reduced to the simplest. Waht however was not so simple was the presentation of it under those cramped conditions.
Most of the time one could see the fish. Shadowy forms of chub came and went under the crossing and recrossing reed stems. Occasionally one saw a shoal of good roach, and here and there a big dace. The banks were steeply cut, and in order to prevent oneself from being "skylined" one had to worm one's way along the bank in a most undignified position, unmindful of nettles, thistles, cow pats and similar hazards.
Sometimes the fish saw the angler first, and in the manner of chub went quietly about their business. But often we saw a likely spot, perhaps a little break between two reed beds, the current running fast on either side, with a little deep pocket at the downstream end, and we said to ourselves: "Now, that's the place." After worming our way into position and extracting a couple of toughened lobworms from the bait tin, we nicked them on the hook and, screwing up the reel tension to maximum, flicked them into the clear run upstream of the pocket. With fascination we saw the bait trundle down and disappear into the dark hole, and knowing what to expect we immediately engaged the pick-up of the reel. Nor had we very long to wait. If our approach had been stealthy enough, and our eye for a holding place sound, the line would give a flicker, then start to draw away.
We struck hard; the water under the rod point exploded as the chub turned and lunged for the nearest reed bed, barely six feet away. Sometimes he went straight through and tough stems; only the splashing in the middle of the thickest, out of sight, told us where he was. Some of them were seen to transfer the hook to the reed stem by grabbing hold of them with their jaws and lashing their bodies backwards and forwards. It was a dangerous trick without any effective counter, usually resulting in a lost fish.
Some swims were unproductive, others gave a fish. Occasionally the unexpected cropped up, a couple of strong runs producing a roach of 3/4lb, and a pike of approximately 4lb. In such a natural water one never quite knew what to expect. We had a roving commission and covered about a mile of stream.
The day's sport emphasized an old fishing truth sometimes in danger of being forgotten -- namely that fish in general, and chub in particular, are not so much tackle shy (a 6lb line in that clear water looked like a sash cord) as man shy. I still cannot decide which is the greater thrill -- a big chub on fine tackle in open water, or one of the same size on heavy gear from these snag-ridden places. The latter kind of fishing is good for the man in that it makes him return to the basic fundamentals of fishing -- a capacity for the utmost stealth, for sustained concentration, for split-second coordination of hand and eye. But he should not practise it too often. It places too great a strain on the nerves!

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”