Wax on wax off

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
OldRod
Grayling

Re: Wax on wax off

Post by OldRod »

Olly wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:32 pm Thank goodness I no longer have to do that!
May I enquire why that is Olly?
Feel free to tell me to do one and not be so nosy! 🤥 😂
At the end of the game, the pawn and the King go back into the same box........

Wakou
Rudd

Post by Wakou »

OT.. but
I snapped up a Barbour "Corrbridge" at a boot sale last week £35.00. V. pleased, it is pretty much brand new, even had the instruction leaflet in the pocket. It is labelled "XL". I am a medium if not small, but it fits fine! I looked at the Barbour website reviews, and almost everyone says that the sizing is completely bonkers! Why does Barbour do this?
Also... Are there counterfeits out there?

Wanderer
Brown Trout

Post by Wanderer »

Have to say that I like waxed cotton.
First off I had a Belstaff motorcycle coat in the seventies and then various waxed coats over the years ( still using a Belstaff Durham a TT leathers waxed cotton motorcycle jacket and a" border " look alike ( branded M'c Orvis) which is serving me well.
Like so many things, the quality of Barbour stuff isn't what it was.
The material is in many cases, is lighter weight than the original .
Barbour are now a "life style" brand and are a very successful business.
It is such a shame that many of their items are now made outside the UK.
Barbour still have a factory in the UK, I am pleased to say and recently Mrs Wanderer had an old and torn Durham, expertly repaired and re proofed by them.
"Not all those who Wander are Lost !"

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Hi OldRod - - because I gave up Barbour long ago! Cold - stiff - and 'slimy''.

Bouts of pleurisy and one of pneumonia led me to search for a better and warmer material. I bought a jacket/coat which was very different - - layers of waterproof cloth - a heat retaining layer - very like a form of Gortex.

Designed and made in Denmark for hunting/shooting in all weathers. I now have both coats and trousers made by them suitable for Autumn, Winter and Spring.

Bayleaf
Gudgeon

Post by Bayleaf »

As a long time motorcyclist and angler I must admit I don't miss waxed cotton. Spent many years mountaineering too and when I started I wore rubber backed nylon waterproofs, sweaty, I was just at the end of the era when the Munich School would wear black wax cotton cagoules. Sinister looking. Thank goodness for breathable and waterproof clothing.

Wanderer
Brown Trout

Post by Wanderer »

No doubt about it. We have plenty of choice these days and that is a good thing.
I have a couple of modern, ( technical, as they say) top coats, but I still rate good old waxed cotton, especially for it's long life and durability.

Best of both worlds !
"Not all those who Wander are Lost !"

Mitch300
Roach

Post by Mitch300 »

I just discovered a new benefit of keeping the jackets well waxed. If you find that you mistakenly got a large smear of latex paint on one a week ago, you can still remove all traces of the paint with a damp sponge---a very pleasant surprise.

G. B.

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

I loaned my brother a Barbour Trials Jacket when he bought his first bike... I never got it back because he sold it on ebay for £300...😳 I tried to buy another and Barbour wanted nigh on £500 each... more a fashion statement than a useful bit of kit anymore
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

JimmyBobkin
Crucian Carp

Post by JimmyBobkin »

Some are still produced in England, some in Asia. No way of knowing which. An interesting episode of Inside The Factory with Greg Wallace and the gorgeous blonde woman.

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”