Constable of Bromley - History and Models

The Constable Of Bromley Rods forum.
Gobio Gobio
Grayling

Re: Constable of Bromley - History and Models

Post by Gobio Gobio »

Can I ask about a 12ft model that I've seen please, just called the Constable Superb?
I can't find anything about the rod. Is it hollow built, OK for Chub etc or more delicate?

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

I owned a near mint example some years ago. It is not hollow built, in fact it is quite heavy, but definitely OK for chub. :Thumb:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Gobio Gobio
Grayling

Post by Gobio Gobio »

Thanks very much, I've just bought one.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Gobio Gobio wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:07 pm Thanks very much, I've just bought one.
This is the rod that I had, but sold as it was too heavy to trot with for very long! A powerful rod, in wonderful condition, Imagebut as I said too heavy for use as a 'trotting' rod! :Hat: ImageImageImageImageImage ImageImage
Confucius

Gobio Gobio
Grayling

Post by Gobio Gobio »

FB_IMG_1682881799470.jpg
FB_IMG_1682881818729.jpg
Very interesting, I have not received mine yet and seems totally different Lea.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

I am guessing that mine is a later version with the sliding screw reel fitting? Hopefully yours may be a little lighter, the weight was the only negative comment that I could make! :Hat:
Confucius

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Yes Ted, I think the blue label rods were later in manufacture. The same label is seen on the glass rods.
They are all very nice rods, very well made cane sections, perfect strip joints with no glue lines anywhere.
I don't think there ever was a 12ft all built cane rod that doesn't feel a bit top heavy to anglers today. Even the hollow built Aspindales are out of balance compared to modern rods.
As rods intended to sit in rests they are excellent and have the power to subdue large fish no problem.

I have always thought 11ft is the maximum comfortable length of a cane rod that is intended to be held for any length of time. Any longer and maybe Spanish reed should be used wherever possible, however it was always a compromise as there is the chance of breakage with heavy casting weights and big fish.

I have a Constable Twin Top. 9ft 6in Ledger or 10ft 6in float and with the 10ft 6in float top it feels really nice. Probably the perfect length for solid built cane float rods.

Wal.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 10:29 am Yes Ted, I think the blue label rods were later in manufacture. The same label is seen on the glass rods.
They are all very nice rods, very well made cane sections, perfect strip joints with no glue lines anywhere.
I don't think there ever was a 12ft all built cane rod that doesn't feel a bit top heavy to anglers today. Even the hollow built Aspindales are out of balance compared to modern rods.
As rods intended to sit in rests they are excellent and have the power to subdue large fish no problem.

I have always thought 11ft is the maximum comfortable length of a cane rod that is intended to be held for any length of time. Any longer and maybe Spanish reed should be used wherever possible, however it was always a compromise as there is the chance of breakage with heavy casting weights and big fish.

I have a Constable Twin Top. 9ft 6in Ledger or 10ft 6in float and with the 10ft 6in float top it feels really nice. Probably the perfect length for solid built cane float rods.

Wal.
I absolutely agree with your comments Wal and you should know better than most! :Thumb: I only used my rod once, on a TFF outing to Blenheim Palace Lake, we fished from punts and I had to rest the rod on the side of the punt, as it was too heavy to hold all the time. :surrender:
Confucius

Gobio Gobio
Grayling

Post by Gobio Gobio »

I cant wait to receive the rod, it will be with me tomorrow!

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Gobio Gobio wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 6:18 pm I cant wait to receive the rod, it will be with me tomorrow!
I will be interested to hear your reaction, I really hope that you are pleased with it! :Hat:
Confucius

Return to “Constable Of Bromley Cane Rods”