Vintage rod holdall.

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Vintage rod holdall.

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

In the past week or two I'm sure that a dark brown waxed canvas rod holdall popped up on Facebook, I don't think I dreamed it, but I can't find it anywhere. It was 65 quid.
I have been looking for a decent rod holdall, I have two vinyl holdalls one is quite ripped and the other is not roomy enough. Will I find holdalls at one of the tackle fairs, and did anyone else see the one on Facebook or did I dream it lol.

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

John Milford
Perch

Re: Vintage rod holdall.

Post by John Milford »

I took four good holdalls, all of fine vintage and pedigree, to the Yorkshire tackle fair - and didn't get the slightest interest in any of them! (They were priced to sell too!).

I've since given one away to an appreciative recipient. Such items are a puzzle!
A seeker of "the fell tyrant of the liquid plain".

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Will you be taking them to the next Yorkshire tackle fair.

Thanks
BB

Gobio Gobio
Grayling

Post by Gobio Gobio »

You are correct BB, an Efgeeco canvas rod holdall did pop up on one of the Facebook pages. I think it was near Canterbury I was going to get it although a little too far from me. Yes it was £65, I think he had reduced it. Alas its gone, although not to Mr.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

A good place to find old holdalls is at auctions. Joblot collections of old gear tend to be lumped together and holdalls fair bursting with old rods can be bought for a song. I bought one such lot to get a Lucky Strike therein, it came with a perfectly good holdall, about half a dozen rods of little value but wait, what's this tucked in the middle? It was a rare and very useable Hardy fly rod sold for £150+

Nowadays Mullocks are selling the holdalls separately but, they still go quite cheap. Or it least they used to but now you'll all be bidding against each other :Chuckle:

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Thank god i didnt imagine it. It looked just what i want.

Thanks
BB

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Cheers dave, i will take a look when the next auction is.

Thanks
BB

John Milford
Perch

Post by John Milford »

BoltonBullfinch wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:04 am Will you be taking them to the next Yorkshire tackle fair.

Thanks
BB
Yes BB, I fully expect to be at the next one. As discussed elsewhere on here, it was an immensely enjoyable event.

I took a fair amount of bulkier items, my thinking being that things such as holdalls, baskets, rods, etc., are costly to post and therefore a much better deal and convenience for both parties if sold 'face to face'.

To my surprise, they all came home with me (not that I minded). Like many, I am an eager buyer and reluctant seller - but space eventually becomes a constraint!
A seeker of "the fell tyrant of the liquid plain".

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Is the auction over two days, if it's just one then I could possible come down, I have never been to a auction.

Thanks
BB

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”