MK IV not close whipped

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: MK IV not close whipped

Post by Santiago »

RBTraditional wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:20 am
BoltonBullfinch wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:31 am I have a J B Walker mklV s/u that has few intermediates compared to most mklVs. I dont know if it came out of the factory complete or as a kit.
But i would like to find another similar to buy.

Thanks
BB
It was J B Walker (Hythe, Kent) who Dick Walker used to supply him the blanks he used for making MK1V carp and Avon rods for himself and those he gifted to friends. The B James connection came well after this and I don’t really understand why their rods are coveted over the much superior blank of JBW……
me too!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

No close whipping here. As original as the day it left the factory.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

RBTraditional wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:20 am
BoltonBullfinch wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:31 am I have a J B Walker mklV s/u that has few intermediates compared to most mklVs. I dont know if it came out of the factory complete or as a kit.
But i would like to find another similar to buy.

Thanks
BB
It was J B Walker (Hythe, Kent) who Dick Walker used to supply him the blanks he used for making MK1V carp and Avon rods for himself and those he gifted to friends. The B James connection came well after this and I don’t really understand why their rods are coveted over the much superior blank of JBW……
I think the answer is a simple one - folk liked the intermediates and as such the aesthetic sold the canes and a lot of them. Agreed the JB’s are a superior wand - but in my opinion bland by comparison. If I was offered a choice now I’d plumb for a JB any day of the week.
:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

David
Dace

Post by David »

The 3 J B Walker rods 2 SU MK1V carp and 1 normal MK1V carp. All kit rods and were marked B Southwell blank. They were sold from the shop and built by the then buyer. I was told when the buyer died a guy from the same shop, had purchased them back from his widow. When I checked on the providence of B Southwell on the canes he had confirmed that they were B Southwell made blanks. I have since acquiring them, totally rebuilt them from the bare can to finished rods. I believe in the days when JBW kits were available, not many people had items like lathes etc. to produce really good cork handles. Just to add, I think the J B Walker rods made in their factory all had a J B Walker Decal on the butt section but as far as the kit built ones I have rebuilt, none had a decal.

David
Dace

Post by David »

I have 6 B James MK1Vs 1=S/U 2= Avons and 3= Carp and I have to also say I like the feel of the JBW rods compared to the BJ rods.

Swythyn Troutbeck
Grayling

Post by Swythyn Troutbeck »

Many more years ago than I care to remember, I bought a brand-new Vortex Avon hollow glass rod with intermediate whips...totally unnecessary but the look made me buy the rod, which I would probably not have done otherwise. I am glad that I did though. I have always enjoyed using it.

Troutbeck :Hat:
When I'm not fishin' I'm fettlin'

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”