Milward's net

Traditional landing nets large and small.
Watermole+
Chub

Milward's net

Post by Watermole+ »

This net frame was given to me some years ago to which I have now fitted a legal knotless Snowbee net bag of the same size.

The handle is made from what appears to be a hardwood and has the (possibly chestnut?) net frame set in to it, pinned with nails and bound over with cord.

The copper metal strap, brass clip and ring have been cleaned up but have had to replace the rusted steel pins with screws.

The oval measures 9 1/2 ins. x 14 ins. and it is 34" ins. long overall.

It is clearly a MIlward's trout-or small fish-net but cannot find any picture of another one the same so wondered if anyone could help date this for me..?

With regards to all.. :Hat:

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Crucian
Eel

Re: Milward's net

Post by Crucian »

I’ve no idea how old it is Leszek, but it’s a lovely thing.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I cant find one in the Milwards catalogues but a very similar one, called the "Otter" is shown in the 1938 Allcocks catalogue. The oval net ring is 12 ins x 9 1/2 ins. Length of handle 2ft 4in but this includes a knuckle joint.
Wal.
One I restored a while back. You can see the binding of the wooden ring is very similar.
ImageImage

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Post by Barbelseeker »

Hi Leszek,

Hope that both you and your wife are OK - done a search through about 10 Milward's catalogues (on the net) and the nearest I can find is this - which I think lists your net. The issue is thought to be about 1935. God bless you both.

https://splitcaneinfo.com/wp-content/up ... d-1935.pdf

Peter

Addition - Opps - decided it is not like it - landing net head screws off
Last edited by Barbelseeker on Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

Many thanks for your replies Gentlemen;

It is definitely a Milward’s net, although I do agree Wal., it does look to be a much less sophisticated version of the one in the Allcock’s catalogue.

It looks to be a ‘budget’ net from the mid 1930s then..

Best regards,

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Watermole+ wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:43 pm Many thanks for your replies Gentlemen;

It is definitely a Milward’s net, although I do agree Wal., it does look to be a much less sophisticated version of the one in the Allcock’s catalogue.

It looks to be a ‘budget’ net from the mid 1930s then..

Best regards,

wm+
Leszek, those knuckle joints were available as an optional extra on other nets so not necessarily a budget version, yours is just a non folding version which some anglers would prefer. Those knuckle joints did have a tendency to collapse if used upside down, much to the annoyance of many an angler no doubt.

Wal.

Return to “Traditional Landing Nets”