Collectors Register 1997 (Summer) - Redditch Tackle Fair

This is the place where forthcoming events like fishing tackle fairs, game fairs, book launches and similar events can be posted.
Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Collectors Register 1997 (Summer) - Redditch Tackle Fair

Post by Barbelseeker »

I have been fortunate to be given about 12 of the collectors register booklets, dating from 1977, which Bob Turner produced and which many on here may have contributed to.

This booklet, calling the piscatorial members to the fair in October 1997, must have been mailed out before August because Princess Diana died in that month.

I shall be posting another enquiry post about a certain theme which occurs throughout several of these booklets, but in the meantime I attach photographs of this magazine, the invite from Bob Turner to say that the exhibitor had booked his stall, press release for posting in the local pub and the local Abbey Stadium layout/exhibitors. Whilst 25 years years have elapsed, it would be nice to know if anyone exhibited here and their thoughts, or for those who went - their memories compared to modern fairs, or indeed their memories of those exhibitors who may have passed. I hope that it brings back many happy memories.

StefanDuma
Grayling

Re: Collectors Register 1997 (Summer) - Redditch Tackle Fair

Post by StefanDuma »

I did indeed attend the very first one and most of the subsequent ones, with John Andrews taking over when Bob called it a day. Unfortunately, some stallholders are no longer with us; others have quit the tackle-collecting scene altogether.

Things have definitely changed and evolved. However, the spirit of the first one still exists, and I have, over the years, made many friends.

I attended fairs all over Europe, France 3 or 4 times a year, Germany and Holland twice a year, and even Italy. Nowadays, it is Redditch and the European Fair in Holland only.

We also had auctions all over the UK, Bonhams, Christie's, Phillips, and Thomson Ruddick, all of which I attended. Even France and Germany. Mullocks with its auction and tables for people selling tackle. Sadly it's passed. Covid, Internet and the passing of old collectors.

I do miss the old days' tackle was cheaper and more plentiful, but the expenses were greater, including hotel travel, restaurant meals and wine.

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Post by Barbelseeker »

Stefan.
.... "and the passing of old collectors.
"I do miss the old days' tackle was cheaper and more plentiful, but the expenses were greater, including hotel travel, restaurant meals and wine"

It would appear from other comments within later booklets that the organisation lost a great collector of fishing tackle shortly after this fair - Leigh Moffatt - his collection sold over 2 years/4 auctions at Mullocks and Madeley - of which I will post later. However judging from the guide prices I would suggest that:
a) either his tackle was of the upmost workmanship or
b) that generally today's auction items are perhaps less worthy since the item is a lot older and fragile.

(from 1998 to 2023 the equivalent of £100 then is £225 now)

Typically, from catalogue:
Hardy Perfection Roach Mk2 - Guide price £120 to £150
B James & sons - Richard Walker Mk IV Avon 2pc - Guide Price £150 - £180

StefanDuma
Grayling

Post by StefanDuma »

Barbelseeker wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:23 pm Stefan.
.... "and the passing of old collectors.
"I do miss the old days' tackle was cheaper and more plentiful, but the expenses were greater, including hotel travel, restaurant meals and wine"

It would appear from other comments within later booklets that the organisation lost a great collector of fishing tackle shortly after this fair - Leigh Moffatt - his collection sold over 2 years/4 auctions at Mullocks and Madeley - of which I will post later. However judging from the guide prices I would suggest that:
a) either his tackle was of the upmost workmanship or
b) that generally today's auction items are perhaps less worthy since the item is a lot older and fragile.

(from 1998 to 2023 the equivalent of £100 then is £225 now)

Typically, from catalogue:
Hardy Perfection Roach Mk2 - Guide price £120 to £150
B James & sons - Richard Walker Mk IV Avon 2pc - Guide Price £150 - £180
It was a BIG sale, lots of his tackle had problems as he collected everything but there were some gems.

His widow attended a number of Redditch fairs selling off what was not suitable for the auctions.

Leigh was a great bloke I first met him at Chatsworth Fair, and we became friends, he sponsored me when I joined the Prince Albert Club. He also set me on the road to collecting Wadham tackle.

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

I was a member of the Collectors' Register from its inception until its demise. That and Stef's Antique Tackle Observer were my main sources of information from the time before social media reached me.
I probably attended all of the Redditch tackle fairs during the time and quite often had a table, usually with Ian Rotherham. These are where many treasures were traded and several lessons were learnt by mistakes made. I have to say that many of the characters and big hitters from those early days are now no longer with us.
All the paperwork and magazines of those two publications have now been passed on for others to ponder over.
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Post by Barbelseeker »

Yes Bob,

Read many of your contributions and request for tackle items - whilst I didn't collect tackle 25 years ago - can understand your passion for antique tackle and using it. Alas, nowadays with advancing years and only having used "older" gear for some 15-20 years, for me, it not about collecting but careful disposing, so my good lady is not left with a problem, although Banksy has offered to step up if I pop my clogs

I shall also be placing the few "booklets" I have on here for careful stewardship in the future.

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Barbelseeker wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:51 am Yes Bob,

Read many of your contributions and request for tackle items - whilst I didn't collect tackle 25 years ago - can understand your passion for antique tackle and using it. Alas, nowadays with advancing years and only having used "older" gear for some 15-20 years, for me, it not about collecting but careful disposing, so my good lady is not left with a problem, although Banksy has offered to step up if I pop my clogs

I shall also be placing the few "booklets" I have on here for careful stewardship in the future.
The culling continues apace. About 3ft of fishing books removed from my bookshelf and taken to the Society cabin yesterday for members to pick over f.o.c.
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Post by Barbelseeker »

Nice gesture

Peter

AntiqueAngler
Gudgeon

Post by AntiqueAngler »

Although I was not there form the outset I did stall at last couple of Bob Turner's fairs.There was a great atmosphere,meeting up with fellow collectors from other ends of the country.The characters included Stacey Weekes,complete with pinstripe blazer,bowler hat and odd shoes and the booming voiced,larger than life David Deacon both now deceased and another regular Jim Carmichael who stood Reddutch and Mullocks religiously.John Andrews has done a marvellous job to keep; it going all these years. A fantastic day out which I sadly miss.

Return to “Fishing Tackle, Game Fairs and Other Events”