Falcon of Redditch?

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Chelsea
Gudgeon

Re: Falcon of Redditch?

Post by Chelsea »

ImageImageImageImage

Hi Tony

Interesting reading this old thread. Here’s some pictures of a Rod my dad has that sounds very similar to yours.

Regards

Dan

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

This is quite an important find as we know know for certain that when Ken formed Falcon Rods he was still making coarse rods from 1949 tapers and using the Aero name that had been William Aspindale's too.
He's also copied, in a slightly shaky hand, Jimmy Aspindale's handwriting, including that 'unique' capital A.

Back on Olly's post the catalogue actually has a picture of Ken. I wonder if he is still around? He could tells us a bit about his employers and his work that no one else alive could, now that Tony Croft has passed.

Chelsea
Gudgeon

Post by Chelsea »

I did do a little looking myself, Nobby. There seems to be more talk of falcon rods and Ken on the fly fishing forums.

Here’s a lovely description of what the shop was like from someone off the fly fishing forum who had been in the shop whilst falcon were still making rods.

Regards

DanImage

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I am sure the brochure mentioned above in page 1 - - - shows only Game Rods for fly and spinning. Prices in Danish, Swedish and Norwegian!

I do wonder if there is one that shows the coarse side of production?

Chelsea
Gudgeon

Post by Chelsea »

ImageI’ve been looking but can only find the game fishing guide. I did find another Falco Aero that was sold at auction which I’ve added to this.
I’ve also put a message on the Redditch information Facebook group to see if anyone knew Ken or had any more info regarding the company. Long shot but you never know 🙏🏻

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

That confirms it as an Aspindale taper....the Aspindale Aeros were hollow built. Something Jimmy had learned as rod shop foreman for Milward before the war.

Unusually, the Milward and Aspindale rod had no dams to support the cane strips and due to the performance of glues of the time, few have survived de-lamination. Once there blown they are scrap, even Paul Cook said he couldn't repair them.

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

Here is a Falcon of Redditch 2 piece 10ft "Avon". Again, it has the Aspindales type script. It's quite a light rod, suitable for roach, bream, perch and small to medium sized chub. I don't think it has the backbone to deal with barbel, big chub or tench unless you're a gambling man! It looks like it's a late cane rod judging by the style of the fittings.
Does anyone know what the "bird" symbol below the script is supposed to mean?

What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Coral Maestro wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:10 am Here is a Falcon of Redditch 2 piece 10ft "Avon". Again, it has the Aspindales type script. It's quite a light rod, suitable for roach, bream, perch and small to medium sized chub. I don't think it has the backbone to deal with barbel, big chub or tench unless you're a gambling man! It looks like it's a late cane rod judging by the style of the fittings.
Does anyone know what the "bird" symbol below the script is supposed to mean?

What a fabulous rod, bet its a delight to fish with!
Can only assume the bird represents a falcon.
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

Why didn't I think of that. Doh!
It is a nice rod to fish with. I must admit to being concerned in case one of those pesky carp come along.
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Coral Maestro wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:25 am Why didn't I think of that. Doh!
It is a nice rod to fish with. I must admit to being concerned in case one of those pesky carp come along.
Must admit I was trying to make out a number or letter or part thereof.....then it dawned on me, its a bird :idea:
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”