Grub screws

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Humber67
Gudgeon

Grub screws

Post by Humber67 »

Can anyone give me the definitive answer to the size of the Centre pin slotted grub screw used to set the end float.
I’m in need of ones for AA sea Aerial and 3in 7950 T3
Regards Martin
When I grow up I want to be ME

Crucian
Eel

Re: Grub screws

Post by Crucian »

6BA, I would think.

Wallyboy Rob
Chub
Location: On the Wally as often as possible ( Portsmouth area)

Post by Wallyboy Rob »

If it's the same as a C815 or match aerial it's 6BA as Crucian suggests. If it is pm me your address and I'll pop a couple in the post (6BA x 1/4") for you
going with the flow - You gotta luv them gonks

"There's no way you're going to get a quote from us to use on your book cover" Metropolitan Police spokesperson
from the back cover of Wall and piece - Banksy

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Wallyboy Rob wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:23 pm If it's the same as a C815 or match aerial it's 6BA as Crucian suggests. If it is pm me your address and I'll pop a couple in the post (6BA x 1/4") for you
I always figured you'd have a few loose screws Rob :whistle:

Wallyboy Rob
Chub

Post by Wallyboy Rob »

:Hahaha: You know me well Dave

"There's no way you're going to get a quote from us to use on your book cover" Metropolitan Police spokesperson

Humber67
Gudgeon

Post by Humber67 »

Wallyboy Rob wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:23 pm If it's the same as a C815 or match aerial it's 6BA as Crucian suggests. If it is pm me your address and I'll pop a couple in the post (6BA x 1/4") for you
That’s very kind of you will pm.
Thanks
Regards Martin

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

We need Leszek on this as apparently it isn't 6BA after all, it's a model engineering thread I think he said!

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

Nobby wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:42 am We need Leszek on this as apparently it isn't 6BA after all, it's a model engineering thread I think he said!
Many thanks for your trust Nobby; I did read this “thread” and deliberately held fire on answering because I honestly don’t know in this particular case.
I can definitely say that the centre boss thread of the 1960s Rapidex reels that I looked at is 5/32” x 40 ME, but that’s because I had examples to measure, even to the point of buying a new HSS tap of that size to make new bosses with!
However, 5/32” is a lot bigger than 6BA and would be an obvious mis-fit.

I have seen a pre-war Sea Aerial reel, even worked on one, but never had cause to check this thread. Looking at online pictures of both the reels in question however, it does appear that they are apparently smaller than 5/32” diameter and might well be 6BA, but would not take that as being the case or for granted. Both Allcock’s and other pre-war makers used a lot of sizes no longer in common usage such as Cycle threads, which have a generally finer pitch (number of threads per inch) than BA, finer pitches being preferred for adjustment.
They certainly would not be modern iso-metric as these threads were not in use then.

I think it would be prudent to be very cautious when trying a 6 BA for fit-and if a screw thread of that size doesn’t want to go in, to not force it and risk damage to the thread in the centre hub.
If the owner has the original screws-no matter how worn they are-they can easily be checked for size. Failing that, I can check the sizes here.
Send a PM if you get stuck..

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Humber67
Gudgeon

Post by Humber67 »

Up date thank you Rob screws arrived. Fit fine if a little long 1/4in not 1/8in but easy to shorten. Will put in with a tiny amount of silicone to keep them still.
Thanks for all comments
Martin

Wallyboy Rob
Chub

Post by Wallyboy Rob »

:Hat: You're very welcome Martin

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”