Forshaws of Liverpool floats

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Coral Maestro
Chub

Forshaws of Liverpool floats

Post by Coral Maestro »

While looking through a 1972 Forshaws catalogue to check the rods for another thread on TFF, I came across a few pages on traditional floats that may be of interest. It's nice to see the illustrations in colour.
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Liphook
Barbel

Re: Forshaws of Liverpool floats

Post by Liphook »

Very k8nd of you to post this CM :Thumb: I think we need a FoL sub forum :Sun:

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

They do have have a Beltack look about them ? :tea:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

One and the same?

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I have an idea that Richard Forshaw, like Pegley Davies in Surrey, didn't make much, if any, tackle, but bought tackle in from various places and marketed it to tackle shops.

You can actually see that Belglow, who we know so much more about now, actually have both theirs and Forshaws name on some of the display cards.

Both PDQ and Forshaws may have made rods though. Certainly PDQ had neighbouring rod makers F T Williams who's output was included in PDQ catalogues.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Your right Nobby there was definitely a bit of both going on at FoL. They made tackle and were wholesalers too. I don't know much about ERCraddock but Forshaws bought them as a going concern from what little I've read.

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

Nobby wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:55 am I have an idea that Richard Forshaw, like Pegley Davies in Surrey, didn't make much, if any, tackle, but bought tackle in from various places and marketed it to tackle shops.

You can actually see that Belglow, who we know so much more about now, actually have both theirs and Forshaws name on some of the display cards.

Both PDQ and Forshaws may have made rods though. Certainly PDQ had neighbouring rod makers F T Williams who's output was included in PDQ catalogues.
In PDQs 1973 catalogue they state that they are "Makers of Fine Fishing Tackle" but they don't qualify the statement. It's quite apparent looking through the catalogue that they sell a large range of tackle made by other companies such as Intrepid, Mitchell, Lerc etc.
They also list float cards similar to the ones included in the Forshaws catalogue.
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

In my PDQ catalogues they list rods as 'theirs' and also list FT Williams rods, so maybe both factories made rods? Seems daft, but who knows?

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”