Can anyone tell me what this is

General fly fishing chat area.
Iasgair
Chub

Can anyone tell me what this is

Post by Iasgair »

I found this at the bottom of my grandfathers creel. I don't know what it is.

Worry less about who you might offend, and care more about who you might inspire.

Ian
Eel

Re: Can anyone tell me what this is

Post by Ian »

Iasgair wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:14 am I found this at the bottom of my grandfathers creel. I don't know what it is.

This tool is/was used for taking samples from the trouts stomach without having to clean the fish properly whilst in the middle of a session.
Catch a trout,push the spoon down the fishes throat and into its stomach,turn the spoon and take out the sample,see what the fish has been eating,tie on the correct representation and continue fishing. Handy for when fish were almost certainly caught for food.
Your grandad wasn’t daft terryll👍
Don’t cast doubt,cast out.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Exactly as above - although you may wish to dispatch the fish prior to the Endoscopy!

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

If it has a spoon shape - that is what it could be!

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

I remember my great Uncle Winston had an identical implement to that, he took me along on his trips to the Canal, where he caught Perch on worms, he used it to release the deeply hooked fish unharmed. It is a disgorger . I was fascinated by it , and it is a clever design as the hook point is enclosed between the two convex blades and is shielded against further hooking when being removed from the fishes mouth.
When Winston passed away I searched for the disgorger, but all his tackle had been thrown away by his daughter before I went to his house.
It was a great shame because he had some lovely pieces . All went to the tip without a thought of their value or interest to family members.

David .
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

I must be mistaken then. Looked like a spoon but now I see the two on each end. Maybe it’s supposed to double up.
Why have spoons when it could have been straight?
A pole rig winder would do the same job if narrow enough.
Don’t cast doubt,cast out.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Just been looking at antique narrow spoons used for fishing - some have two spoons - one at each end. One larger than the other. Found a lovely silver one from 1750s!

Very different from bone marrow spoons used in the kitchen!

Iasgair
Chub

Post by Iasgair »

Thanks guys! You all were more helpful than anyone on the American forums I belong to.

I did find a gentleman who not only knew what it was, but shown me how to use it. Some of you are correct, it is to dislodge hooks.

Thank you again, I appreciate the help.
Worry less about who you might offend, and care more about who you might inspire.

Return to “General Fly Chat”