Tench rod suggestions?

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Pallenpool
Zander

Re: Tench rod suggestions?

Post by Pallenpool »

If you’re fishing a predominately weedy water then I’d follow Wal’s advice. If we forget your requirement of 10’6 - 11’ then I’d plumb for a J B Walker cane. They have a far stiffer action than most other Avon/Carp rods and can be where required called upon to be persuasive (very). If you wished, an extension to the corkage could be done. But the ones I own have 26 - 28” handles already. For the sake of a few inches your chances when fishing a weedy water will be second to none. I look forward to the pictures👍
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Mick wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:46 am I agree with Dave Burr. The Edgar Sealy Floatcaster 11 footer is a superb rod, not just for tench, but chub, barbel and carp also. A steely, crisp action aided even more by an extended handle. My good friend Jeremy Croxall has just finished a superb rebuild on my Floatcaster. I don't know how to put pictures up on the Forum, but I know Jeremy has some on file, so could you put them up for me please Jeremy? Thank you.
Here you go Mick:
ImageImageImage

Mick wanted to incorporate his surname into the name of the rod hence "Weedon Wizard"
The original branding was not to his taste.

With the longer handle it is a beautifully balanced rod, hugely versatile and quite powerful.
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

A great rod with a superb restoration - I remember Bill Rushmer getting one in the '60s.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Might depend on what other species are in the water you plan to fish. If there's no carp then an avocet would suffice or a Chapman 500 if ledring. If carp are there then you might consider more powerful rods.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Martin James
Tench

Post by Martin James »

Fred J Taylor Roach Rod 12’6. Edgar Sealey Rover. Oliver’s Knebworth 12 foot, green fibre glass with separate handle. I have found it the perfect rod, when fishing deep water also it will handle the odd rogue carp.

TrentFisher
Crucian Carp

Post by TrentFisher »

My weapon of choice is my bulletproof Hardy 12ft Matchmaker.Not a obvious one but trust me it works covering float/feeder applications with a Mitchell 300.
Chapman 500 I like as a cane option.
Enjoy your outings whatever you decide on.
-Nige.

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Thank you all for your suggestions. I've actually purchased a very nice Marco Test (10' 6"), and although the handle is shorter than I prefer, I look forward to its first outing in the new season when the sun will be shining and the tench throwing themselves onto the bank! Cat

Grumpy
Arctic Char

Post by Grumpy »

I use my Marco Medway for Tench sometimes.They are a very capable rod with plenty of stopping power in the middle and butt.Enjoy it!

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”