Old Pal Intrepids

The K. P. Morritts Reels forum.
Rockape
Roach

Old Pal Intrepids

Post by Rockape »

Hi all.

I'm not sure how well known this is to Intrepid reel collectors, and I may have been the last to hear about it, but some time ago whilst looking at overseas (outside of the UK) vintage reel auctions to see what was available, I saw what appeared to be an Intrepid New De Luxe in the US, with a different paint job and name.

So this fired up my curiosity, and I found that probably from around 1966 for maybe for only a couple of years, Ken Morritt had been exporting some models to the States to be distributed under the Old Pal name, which was a subsidiary of the Woodstream Corporation in Lititz, Pennsylvania, which by coincidence is where I got some reels from.

Old Pal distributed several models with a cat theme, some were really well built Italian models (Zangi?) with the big cat names like Lynx, Cheetah, Cougar, Jaguar etc. and a couple of closed face cats from Japan (I think?), all with the same metallic blue rotor and matt black body finish.

The Intrepids were the Tomcat 25 (Black Prince and Boyo), the Reelcat 30 (I think this was a Prince Regent, as I have only ever seen a description of one on an old US auction site) and the Bobcat 35, which could be a lucky dip for the purchaser, between a New De Luxe or an Extra (these had the first if the 'new' Intrepid specs, although no red plastic parts).

When Gladding became involved, these reels plus some other models were distributed by Horrocks Ibbottson (HI) and came with UK specs and names, except for the Super Twin, which was renamed Challenger for the US market (thanks again Stingray for that info).

Here are a couple of my Old Pal Intrepids (my Bobcat is missing its square Old Pal Bobcat 35 label, so I have included a shot of one from an auction site). These reels are relatively rare, but the Tomcat is the most often seen of the three.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Stingray
Grayling

Re: Old Pal Intrepids

Post by Stingray »

Very interesting and thanks for that, Paul. I was unaware of this distributor; and what a nice colour scheme they have. Excellent :cheers:

Wanderer
Brown Trout

Post by Wanderer »

The first I've heard of the US connection.
I have a soft spot for intrepid reels and find this very interesting.
Thanks for posting.
"Not all those who Wander are Lost !"

Rockape
Roach

Post by Rockape »

No worries, happy to share the info.

I was amazed when the Bobcat originally popped up in my vintage reels search.

I found it odd that they would give the NDX and Extra (and the Black Prince/Boyo) the same number classification let alone the same name.

The only drawback is the shipping / import costs on these, but they are a cool addition to any intrepid reel collection.

I have yet to see a box for these, but this is the box for a Cast Cat
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Stingray
Grayling

Post by Stingray »

Just one point, Paul. You know the Black Prince and the Boy'o' are different ? The Tomcat 25 pictured is a Black Prince Mk1.

Rockape
Roach

Post by Rockape »

Hi Stingray,

Yes, even though they are different, both the Boyo and Black Prince were marketed in the US as a Tomcat 25.

The New De Luxe and Extra, were both marketed as a Bobcat 35, though the Boyo and Extra are no where near as commonly seen.

See photos.

The two New DeLuxe Bobcats (most seen version) came from the same place in Pennsylvania; both needed a proper clean and service.

Rockape
Roach

Post by Rockape »

This was the slightly later American guise for our SuperTwin, marketed under Horrocks Ibbotson - Hi.

All Intrepid models had a Hi sticker on the main casing with a Hi model number.

Stingray
Grayling

Post by Stingray »

Ah, I see. Great photos and info again there, Paul.

Return to “K. P. Morritts Reels”