Notes on casting

This forum is for discussing Wallis Casting.
Old Man River
Eel

Re: Notes on casting

Post by Old Man River »

And here is an example of how saltwater anglers used to cast a Scarborough centrepin reel .In the below clip, the reels are what is called a Scarborough Oil Bath reel, quite an rarity these days. The drum ran on a spindle and bush that was encased in an oil bath .

Not for the fainthearted, I can imagine the queue at A&E of men with fractured knuckles.

As a matter of interest, I do a lot of saltwater angling, both boat and shore, and there is still a chap uses similar tackle fishing Filey Brigg, now he can swing a lead,and catch fish despite his age.

I will stick with my fixed spools and multipliers where salt water is concerned I think.

David.
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Old Man River wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:01 pm And here is an example of how saltwater anglers used to cast a Scarborough centrepin reel .In the below clip, the reels are what is called a Scarborough Oil Bath reel, quite an rarity these days. The drum ran on a spindle and bush that was encased in an oil bath .

Not for the fainthearted, I can imagine the queue at A&E of men with fractured knuckles.

As a matter of interest, I do a lot of saltwater angling, both boat and shore, and there is still a chap uses similar tackle fishing Filey Brigg, now he can swing a lead,and catch fish despite his age.

I will stick with my fixed spools and multipliers where salt water is concerned I think.

David.
Really enjoyed that!!!
I would love to give it a go...
I have a couple of low mounted reel seats that I use with my side cast Alveys... this though is a different ball game.
I would love to get my hands on one if them old oil bath reels.
Thanks for posting that... so interesting so many different casting techniques nation wide.
Ps.... and they looked in pretty good shape for a bunch of pipe smoking boozers!
Good times.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Mr B wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:53 pm
Old Man River wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:01 pm And here is an example of how saltwater anglers used to cast a Scarborough centrepin reel .In the below clip, the reels are what is called a Scarborough Oil Bath reel, quite an rarity these days. The drum ran on a spindle and bush that was encased in an oil bath .

David.
Really enjoyed that!!!
I would love to give it a go...
I have a couple of low mounted reel seats that I use with my side cast Alveys... this though is a different ball game.
I would love to get my hands on one if them old oil bath reels.
Thanks for posting that... so interesting so many different casting techniques nation wide.
Ps.... and they looked in pretty good shape for a bunch of pipe smoking boozers!
Good times.

I have a big Alvey with a stainless backplate similar or maybe even identical to yours Mr B, although your rod looks more suited to it than mine. When I was last in Australia I watched a big rather muscular looking chap using a big sidecast Alvey, he made it look like he was waving a wand around. :whistle: .
I used my Albbey with a veteran Conoflex DC5 semi carbon with an alloy Butt. The Alvey has been retired as it is such a big heavy unwieldy thing, even used Reel down as they were designed for.
The Alvey is now in the cabinet alongside several other large vintage stainless / alloy / Tufnol saltwater centrepins .
I must admit I never even considered casting a Scarborough reel .

David

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Interesting viewing David, thank you for posting that video :Hat: Does anyone know what distances were achieved by these big 'pin casting setups?

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

No idea Alastair, but I can say that watchng the chap on Filey Brigg who still uses the above techniques , he gets somewhere around 30-50 yards without really trying , which is all you need there ,no idea what somebody with more muscle and technique could do.

David

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

David.
Is it my imagination, or is that the ancestor of the modern pendulum cast for multipliers David? I recall that a few younger and more talented members of New Brighton Sea Angling Club were taking that up in the 1970s when I first went beach casting. I never did master it and stuck with fettling and tuning my ABU7000 or boat fishing, which I preferred and was better at.

The only sea angling I’ve done in the past 25 years is lure angling, so I’m a bit out of touch with the dirty finger brigade at sea :Chuckle:

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Wanderer
Brown Trout

Post by Wanderer »

Interesting stuff, David.
If you don't mind me asking, what tackle and baits would you recommend for success at Filey Brigg ?
"Not all those who Wander are Lost !"

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Hi Phil and Neil,
Firstly, The cast does look something like a half pendulum, but I dont know when “ swingin the lead “ became a full blown cast in its own right or who first thought of it . I think in the USA they were using a Hatterras cast which is similar back in the 50’s using multipliers .

So far as tackle for Filey Brigg, it depends upon what species you are targetting.
Lure anglers use standard spinning gear. Bait anglers use rotten bottom rigs with the lead on a lighter bs line than the main laine so it can break away if it gets snagged in the rocks . I can pm you some more exact info if you are interested .

David

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Very interesting that video - like a backward cast over the shoulder!

I remember reading about it in the '60s - and noted it uses a big lump of lead!!

Return to “Wallis Casting”